Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle OD's, Another 0.065" and I'm a king , not a queen

Muzzle OD's, Another 0.065" and I'm a king , not a queen

RANT
    It would seam that anyone with at least a little common sense and a small of logic could figure this out, with a standardization of a set group of barrels that it would be good for Savage's bottom line ?? But, not NO, not HELL NO, but WTF were you thinking NO.
    Weapons in question;
    1. 110 Tactical, OD at the muzzle just below the threads is Savage's standard varmint .820"
    2. 10 BA Stealth '' "" " " " "" "" "" the WTF OD of .755"
    Plus being about 2 years behind the marketing trend.
    Going to return a bunch of 6.5 LR bullets and order a barrel ?? with either a NSS MTU or heavy Palama contour
    Think Savage should talk to the PRS shooters they have on the payroll and find out what the winners are shooting.

UH, marksman contour. The Stealth was not designed for PRS. It was designed to sell to tacticool people.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Different product lines, different goals. Likely trying to keep the weight down on the 10 BA. Doubt there is any cost difference in turning the different profiles.

The origination owner was given a good lesson, whether it takes hold will depend a lot on how old he AND his wife are.
    He bought this for his wife to shoot ?? probably PRS, and he let her shot his $$$$$$$$$$ rifle. And thus, I got this project at a " bottom basement" $$.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Different product lines, different goals. Likely trying to keep the weight down on the 10 BA. Doubt there is any cost difference in turning the different profiles.

I wonder what "suit" had the "brain fart" and thought it would "kool" and help sales by putting large shank threads in the receiver, espically for 6.5 & 308.
    Maybe needed for 338 LM but not 308 head size cases.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    The origination owner was given a good lesson, whether it takes hold will depend a lot on how old he AND his wife are.
    He bought this for his wife to shoot ?? probably PRS, and he let her shot his $$$$$$$$$$ rifle. And thus, I got this project at a " bottom basement" $$.
    A good husband would not get a Savage for his wife to shoot PRS...

A good husband wound not get a Savage for his wife to shoot PRS...
    OK, WHAT rifle would buy your wife to shoot PRS ??

OK, WHAT rifle would buy your wife to shoot PRS ??
    PVA; John Hancock
    Bad Rock; South Fork
    Seekins; Havock Bravo

Seems like a good place to start. All under 2000.

Basic Member
    Bighorn Origin action, KRG Bravo chassis, Criterion barrel, TriggerTech

OK Celtech and Robinhood , A dollar to a dough nut hole says that if you invested $ 3500.00 to $4500.00 w/ optics for your wife's PRS rifle, you both would say "yes dear that will be fine" when she says," It's getting kinda hot at the range and I think I'll make plans to go to the mall or go to lunch with the girls, you don't mind do you ? there are plenty of people that can spot for you.

A lot of people on forums like to live vicariously through other peoples bank accounts.

And, CELLTECH, if Savages aren't good enough for your wife, what are you doing on a Savage forum ?

Basic Member
    I learned a while back that if a person wants to be mad let them.
    It’s their time and energy.

As Celltech noted, it's a matter of different contours for different intended uses/roles. The "one size fits all" mentality simply doesn't fly in the gun world.

Would you want to lug a hefty MTU barreled rifle up to 12,000 feet on a sheep hunt, or carry it all day while walking/glassing 5-10 miles in the back country on a mule deer or elk hunt? I doubt it. By the same token, most would agree a lightweight sporter barrel would be the worst choice possible for a precision competition rifle that requires firing 15-20 rounds in a short period of time per relay or stage.

When it comes to barrel contour it's always a balancing act between prolonged accuracy and weight.

And, CELLTECH, if Savages aren't good enough for your wife, what are you doing on a Savage forum ?
    He didn't imply that Savage's aren't good enough for his (or your) wife. What he was pointing out is that given Savage's common issue with feeding/extraction certain cases - particularly those commonly used in PRS, they're really not an ideal choice for a PRS rifle. Skip ahead to 1:25 in the this video for a perfect example of the feeding/extraction issues that plague many Savage's in 6.5 Creedmor and similarly styled cartridges with minimal body taper that are the hot tickets in PRS.

Have people run Savage's in PRS? Sure, and they'll usually be the first to tell you that if you're serious about it and don't want to be cursing your rifle during the middle of a stage start with different action. Why start your wife off with a handicap?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Well if pennies are important, at least you have the Stealth action to
    build off of. Sell off the stock, and replace it with an Oryx. See if Jim has
    a Criterion in a 28" M24 contour.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Thanks Jim...could have not said it better myself! And Savage's are plenty fine for hunting, dinging steel, bench shooting, and just generally learning how to tinker with rifles. While they have many great attributes, a slick, fast running action is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Well if pennies are important, at least you have the Stealth action to
    build off of. Sell off the stock, and replace it with an Oryx. See if Jim has
    a Criterion in a 28" M24 contour.
    This just keeps getting better and better, Mags require short seating of all match bullets, and the feed ramp and chamber opening must have been designed for round nose bullets. But I have found a solicitation, if it doesn't sell locally, look for it in the classifieds

Bighorn Origin action, KRG Bravo chassis, Criterion barrel, TriggerTech

That'll work. The TL3, MDT LSS Gen II, AGW 6.5CM, TriggerTech Works for me.

Basic Member
    This just keeps getting better and better, Mags require short seating of all match bullets, and the feed ramp and chamber opening must have been designed for round nose bullets. But I have found a solicitation, if it doesn't sell locally, look for it in the classifieds
    Don't know where you came up with that. I run most of my bullets .010" off the lands on most of my rifle's shooting Berger VLD's,and Hornady ELD's and still have all kind of room in the magazines. No matter if they are AICS mags or Dark Eagle mags.
    I'm running two 6.5 CM's,a 7mm-08, a 308,and a 22 CM all with detachable mags,and could seat the bullets out a lot further if I needed to.

Just not too many people want to use a Savage action in PRS since everybody knows you will have issues in loading (double stroke the bolt),and extraction/ejection issues that will cost you time.

WOW, you have two 6.5 CM's,a 7mm-08, a 308,and a 22 CM ALL on 10 BA Stealth actions,and using OME Mags. OH Wait, you are using something totally different and after market mags . Apples to apples

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    That'll work. The TL3, MDT LSS Gen II, AGW 6.5CM, TriggerTech Works for me.

You like to hear yourself talk so answer my question.

OK Robinhood , A dollar to a dough nut hole says that if you invested $ 3500.00 to $4500.00 w/ optics for your wife's PRS rifle, you both would say "yes dear that will be fine" when she says," It's getting kinda hot at the range and I think I'll make plans to go to the mall or go to lunch with the girls, you don't mind do you ? there are plenty of people that can spot for you.

You like to hear yourself talk so answer my question.

OK Robinhood , A dollar to a dough nut hole says that if you invested $ 3500.00 to $4500.00 w/ optics for your wife's PRS rifle, you both would say "yes dear that will be fine" when she says," It's getting kinda hot at the range and I think I'll make plans to go to the mall or go to lunch with the girls, you don't mind do you ? there are plenty of people that can spot for you.
    I did build her one. She passed away last year but she never got into it like I had hoped she would. She was left eye dominant and right handed. But she hung out with me at the range even when it was near 100 down here on the coast. She read her books while I did my thing. We were best friends and the priority was usually the grand kids with her. She never was a mall girl and didn't hang out with the girls except on a painting night every now and then at one of the "girls" houses. We spent pretty much all of our time together with just a few exceptions. She wasn't very much like your image of women so sorry to disappoint you, donuts for you. Shoot, I was rambling again.

If you go back to my profile page there is an ignore button. Click it. You will not be burdened with all of my hot air after that.

Basic Member
    WOW, you have two 6.5 CM's,a 7mm-08, a 308,and a 22 CM ALL on 10 BA Stealth actions,and using OME Mags. OH Wait, you are using something totally different and after market mags . Apples to apples
    Well,Dark Eagle mags are factory Savage magazines with a custom made extension that holds 10 rounds. They work with the factory bottom metal.

Basic Member
    I also saw the video on backfire and was a little surprised. I didn't realize it was a new age creedmoor type cartridge issue. Guess I know now why my experience has been different.

Other issue with this video is they have a 750 price point but choose a rifle missing many of the features savage offers at this price point. I'm not sure if this is even a true accustock. Then they complain about a lot of the features of the model like the bull barrel and call it a target rifle. Weren't they the ones who chose the model???

Quote Originally Posted by shaffe48 View Post
    I also saw the video on backfire and was a little surprised. I didn't realize it was a new age creedmoor type cartridge issue. Guess I know now why my experience has been different.

Other issue with this video is they have a 750 price point but choose a rifle missing many of the features savage offers at this price point. I'm not sure if this is even a true accustock. Then they complain about a lot of the features of the model like the bull barrel and call it a target rifle. Weren't they the ones who chose the model???
    The rifle in the video was a special run for a specific distributor/big box store. This is pretty common with Savage, and one of my complaints with them as it just creates confusion for their customers when they can't find it on Savage's website.

If a distributor/big box store is willing to place a large enough order (say 500 units), Savage will build them whatever they want based on their spec's so long as it consists of "off the shelf" regular production parts. Often times these "special run" models will be just like the one in the video where it's pretty much a cheaper version of an existing model minus some features to get a lower price point and/or to get them in calibers that aren't regularly offered in that model. In this case it looks like a 110 Hog Hunter stock with some black webbing sprayed on it, a 110 Tactical barrel and bolt handle, and a very budget muzzle brake. The non AccuFit stock, Axis style magazine and cheap break are the cost cutting measures.

So for example (a ridiculous one), say some big distributor in the midwest thought there was enough demand/interest in a Savage 110 Elite Precision in .350 Legend, they could call up Savage and they'd be happy to make it for them so long as the order was for enough units to justify doing it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I'm starting to get a pretty good picture of why your wife wants to go to the mall instead of to the range with you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast