Thread: Savage 10 GRS - help please.

Savage 10 GRS - help please.

Hi I have just purchased a Savage 10 GRS in 6.5 Creedmoor.

My question is - should I worry about this or is this what to expect from a synthetic stock as Ive never owned a rifle with a synthetic stock (see picture attached) The issue is that from the top view looking down of the forend of the rifle stock and barrel the stock is not even either side of the barrel. I've tried contacting Savage directly but they have the worst support (in my opinion) as I have emailed them about a couple of issues including this one but heard nothing back.

Any feedback advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers - Stu

Sorry dont know how to add photo

Last I heard Savage was still shut down due to Covid-19 and the C/S department is running with just a skeleton crew of six people alternating days with three on/three off.

As for the barrel to forend gap, have you done the paper test to verify if it's actually touching the stock? If it's not touching (barrel is free-floated) there's nothing to worry about. If it is touching one side or the other, try loosening the action screws a little, centering the barrel and retightening.

It's fairly common for plastic stocks to warp a bit in the forend as they cool after coming out of the mold. The GRS composite stocks are made using a fiber reinforced composite (likely nylon), meaning small loose strands of fiberglass are mixed in with the composite. This doesn't give it the rigidity of a true fiberglass stock constructed using several layers of fiberglass matting to form the outer shell. Fiber reinforced nylon is what most basic OEM synthetic stocks are made of.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    If the barrel looks 'crooked' in the stock then I'd also check to see of it is properly aligned with the receiver. A long straight edge placed against the receiver would do well enough.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    If the barrel looks 'crooked' in the stock then I'd also check to see of it is properly aligned with the receiver. A long straight edge placed against the receiver would do well enough.
    This is my concern. Make sure it shoots the same point horizontally with only vertical variation. Did I say that right?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Last I heard Savage was still shut down due to Covid-19 and the C/S department is running with just a skeleton crew of six people alternating days with three on/three off.

As for the barrel to forend gap, have you done the paper test to verify if it's actually touching the stock? If it's not touching (barrel is free-floated) there's nothing to worry about. If it is touching one side or the other, try loosening the action screws a little, centering the barrel and retightening.

It's fairly common for plastic stocks to warp a bit in the forend as they cool after coming out of the mold. The GRS composite stocks are made using a fiber reinforced composite (likely nylon), meaning small loose strands of fiberglass are mixed in with the composite. This doesn't give it the rigidity of a true fiberglass stock constructed using several layers of fiberglass matting to form the outer shell. Fiber reinforced nylon is what most basic OEM synthetic stocks are made of.
    Hi J.Baker thank you kindly for your feedback, much appreciated. Cheers - Stu

Thanks charlie b. cheers - Stu

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This is my concern. Make sure it shoots the same point horizontally with only vertical variation. Did I say that right?
    Thanks Robinhood. Cheers - Stu