Thread: 7mm08 High Country

7mm08 High Country

[IMG]7mm08-1 by Kenneth Lee, on Flickr[/IMG][IMG]7mm08-2 by Kenneth Lee, on Flickr[/IMG]Well i took a chance on this one after seeing how nice it looked on all the reviews . Finish had a couple of bad spots by the safety that maybe i can over look if it shoots good . I am not supper happy with the way that the blot feeds that's for sure so i may have to do something about that . Anyone else have some good results form the HC ?

Basic Member
    What is the "blot"? Is this an acronym?

Bolt , my dang iPhone I guess.

Basic Member
    My mind worked on that for quite a time. But my brain was stuck on something to do with the stock!...
    My bad too.....most Savage owners don't like the "feel" of the blot....lol....
    Sorry, usually typos are easy to figure out. From now on I am going to call a stiff bolt a..."blot".

Bolt , my dang iPhone I guess.
    Ah. Just blot it out.

I'm putting the finishing touches on my review of a High Country in .270 Win. and have to say I was a little disappointed in the durability of the brown PVD coating on the metal. The one I have is showing wear to the finish on the tops of the flutes on the bolt as well as a couple scratches on the barrel.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I did a post "First Savage Rifle Not Impressed thus far" back in June. To cut to the point I bought a H.C. in 270. The barrel was out of alignment with the Receiver pretty darn bad so I sent it back in MAY. Around the beginning of July I was able to contact a human over the phone. He stated the gun was screwed up so bad they were going to issue me a brand new one BUT they didn't have any 270's and I would have to wait until they made some more 270's. When I asked when that would be he didn't know. I asked if I would have it before Hunting Season he said I hope so. I asked if I could have an alternate caliber if there were any laying around so I could have at least something and he said no. I have been told because I shipped it to them from myself and not a FFL they can only send the same serial number back so they must destroy the original rifle (which is what he said they were going to do in so many words or less) and reissue the same serial number on a new rifle. Im assuming this is true as it makes sense to how things are going down. Not totally giving up on them but Im still waiting....
    Guess I've been spoiled by the Phenomenal Customer Service that Henry provides.

Basic Member
    CFR 178.147 addresses repair/replacement of firearms:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2002-title27-vol1/pdf/CFR-2002-title27-vol1-sec178-147.pdf

The explanation you were provided, is incorrect.

The replacement must be of "same kind and type"- would mean no change in chambering. Makes sense, as caliber is recorded in the bound book along with the manufacturer info.

Makes no difference whether you send the firearm to a licensee, or an FFL sends it... and it's entirely illegal to "reissue" an identical S/N on another rifle. The defective firearm- with its unique S/N would be recorded as destroyed. That S/N cannot be "reused".

Typically they would destroy the receiver if it is not serviceable, and send you a replacement firearm with a different S/N.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    CFR 178.147 addresses repair/replacement of firearms:

https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CFR-2002-title27-vol1/pdf/CFR-2002-title27-vol1-sec178-147.pdf

The explanation you were provided, is incorrect.

The replacement must be of "same kind and type"- would mean no change in chambering. Makes sense, as caliber is recorded in the bound book along with the manufacturer info.

Makes no difference whether you send the firearm to a licensee, or an FFL sends it... and it's entirely illegal to "reissue" an identical S/N on another rifle. The defective firearm- with its unique S/N would be recorded as destroyed. That S/N cannot be "reused".

Typically they would destroy the receiver if it is not serviceable, and send you a replacement firearm with a different S/N.
    This is 100% correct.

About 5-6 years ago I had to send a LCR back to Ruger because the plastic frame had broken where the metal bushing for the firing pin is located resulting in the bushing sticking out into the gap between the frame and cylinder preventing the cylinder from closing when loaded. Ruger replaced the revolver with a new one and had to be transferred through an FFL with a new 4473.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    ^^^
    Don't know the timing of when this BATFE opinion was released, but it clarifies that a 4473 is not required for a "same kind and type" replacement.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ru...earms/download

Well that’s not very encouraging at all , guess I just have to wait an see.