Thread: Prefit with Lg. shanks

Prefit with Lg. shanks

This is just an FYI for anyone thinking about ordering a prefit requiring a large shank, and you wanting a certain heavy profile.
    Only one Co. I've talked to told me that an M 24/MTU profile would require a lot of extra machine and have zero gain over a staged or Palma profile.
    If you were going to spend close to $ 600.00 for a bbl. wouldn't you want to get what you wanted ?

Basic Member
    Most barrel maker's will make what ever profile you want. They could care less about the profile that you specify.
    If it's something they usually don't stock,they will just charge you extra for it.

That, and I'm guessing that they assumed you'd actually looked at the dimensions of said contour, compared it to the large shank and seen how much was going to have to be removed.

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't say *anything*... but some may be sticking to the saying "the customer is always right... even when they're wrong"

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Profiles as mentioned are really never a problem. The problem is in the nut area
    for a chosen barrel. If you choose an M24 that comes in at 1.200, and a large
    shank Savage needs to be 1.125, that can be a problem until you think outside
    the box. Any barrel needs indexed and tenon cut true. So while it's indicated, it
    does not take much extra machining to get what you want.....My M24 Bartlein
    blank fitted my way......

Pic won't load. Try later
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Profiles as mentioned are really never a problem. The problem is in the nut area
    for a chosen barrel. If you choose an M24 that comes in at 1.200, and a large
    shank Savage needs to be 1.125, that can be a problem until you think outside
    the box. Any barrel needs indexed and tenon cut true. So while it's indicated, it
    does not take much extra machining to get what you want.....My M24 Bartlein
    blank fitted my way......

Pic won't load. Try later
    OBVIOUSLY, you don't have a large shank prefit so, thank you for under whelming with your knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by memilanuk View Post
    That, and I'm guessing that they assumed you'd actually looked at the dimensions of said contour, compared it to the large shank and seen how much was going to have to be removed.

Yeah, I'd be a little surprised if they didn't say *anything*... but some may be sticking to the saying "the customer is always right... even when they're wrong"

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk
    IF they put a price list on their web site and there are no **, I expect them to honor the price of what I order, and not come back and say we can't do that, but this will work just as well.

TRUTH IN ADVERTISING
    * Sporter ---.284 & downStandard Shanks -1.050 x 20tp
    Large Shanks -1.112 x 20tpi -There will be a step in diameter right at Dimension A
    NSS lists both Sm & Lg. shank in their tapered / MTU profiles

Basic Member
    Bugnut solves the breech diameter "problem" for those that want a full 1.20 or 1.25

https://www.bugholes.com/category-s/1820.htm

As an alternative, for six bills you can get a shouldered barrel custom fitted...and lose the nut if you so choose.

Basic Member
    Excuse my ignorance here and not trying to be a smart allick, but I'm not seeing the point here. Are you saying it won't fit to the contour of the barrel channel in the stock? I've got several large shanks and have had barrels made to very heavy profiles and never had a problem. The M24 is something like 1.25" at the shoulder whereas the large shank Savage is 1.125". It's been a while since I've measured but I didn't think the nut over the shank was more than 1.25" so shouldn't it still fit? I mean you'd start at 1.125 instead of 1.25, but seems they can match the taper from there on down to the muzzle however you want it. Of course if you need or want bigger than that, you can always ditch the nut and get a shouldered barrel made. Sorry, I've just trying to envision in my mind how you guys are saying this won't fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    OBVIOUSLY, you don't have a large shank prefit so, thank you for under whelming with your knowledge
    All my single shot rifles (3) are Savage 12 precision target actions, and
    all are using large shank prefits.

If you need a clue.....Look up my SA284 thread, and scroll done to post
    #19. Should give you some insight (or not) Tried to post up more relevant
    pics but for some reason the system stalls.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952