Thread: Questions about rebarreling a pre accutrigger

Questions about rebarreling a pre accutrigger

Maybe I'm not necessarily asking a specific question but looking for advice and giudance from those that have been down this road before.

I have a 22-250 BVSS I bought around 2002 to use on prairie dogs. This is the old style flat back with the internal staggered feed magazine. It's had a couple thousand rounds thru it now and the accuracy has gone down hill.

I haven't been out west to shoot prairie dogs in years and have been considering switching the barrel out to a 6, 6.5mm Creedmore, 260 or something similar so I don't have to replace bolt head. Obviously I'm thinking about doing just a barrel swap at this time. Will the blind stager feed magazine cause a problem with feeding or will I need to replace the follower?

I would consider modifying the stock to add bottom metal for detachable magazines, but I've heard there is much material to work with on them.

Ideally, I'd like to get a new barrel with the same varmint contour, about 24" inches long and thread so I can mount my 30 cal suppressor. Detachable magizens would be nice, but not needed if the internal mag feeds fine.

I thought about selling the rifle and buying one of the new 6.5 tactical models from Cabela's, or another brand. Although I'd probably end up with a better quality rifle by replacing the barrel even thought it would cost about the same.

Team Savage
    Get the barrel of your choice, spin it on, set the head space and go shooting. Got nothing to do with the trigger or internal mag.
    Only consideration would be if the internal mag will feed your chosen round. I single feed all my rigs so mag feeding is never an issue.

And you could always swap bolt heads and do a different round then what it was born with. It's done every day.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    There was just a thread by "Deakin" concerning detachable magazines and the difference between the old flat back stagger feed actions and the centerfeed. His problem was just the opposite of yours, he was looking to put old parts designed for flat back on a centerfeed action.
    There are few/no Savage or aftermarket parts available to convert your "flat back" to detachable magazine.

Reading through that thread may help you decide whether or not to pursue this endeavor.

At any rate the your 22-250 magazine should work ok with the Creedmoor with maybe just small tweaks to the feed lips.

Good project.

Basic Member
    Sell it and buy a new one, it will save you a lot of headaches.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

I was looking at this in stock barrel from McGowen.
    https://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/6-5-c...-threaded-nut/

how much inletting ting would be required on the BVSS stock to get it to fit? Is the number 7 contour .875" at end of the 24" finished barrel or the end of the 32" barrel blank?

Basic Member
    I have done what you are thinking. Finding a stock for the j action is a chore and the trigger sucks. By the time I bought a new barrel and stock and the additional expense of a trigger I could have gotten a new rifle set up the way I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by X1rider View Post
    I was looking at this in stock barrel from McGowen.
    https://mcgowenbarrel.com/shop/6-5-c...-threaded-nut/

how much inletting ting would be required on the BVSS stock to get it to fit? Is the number 7 contour .875" at end of the 24" finished barrel or the end of the 32" barrel blank?
    Probably not much. It is easy to use a socket or dowel and some sandpaper to remove what you need.... If that is what you want to do with your BVSS. Or you can match your contour from their profile list.

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods blacksmith View Post
    I have done what you are thinking. Finding a stock for the j action is a chore and the trigger sucks. By the time I bought a new barrel and stock and the additional expense of a trigger I could have gotten a new rifle set up the way I wanted.
    BB, He does not have a J action.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.