Thread: Accu-Stock removal and re-assembly on a Mdl 16 Weather Warrior

Basic Member

Accu-Stock removal and re-assembly on a Mdl 16 Weather Warrior

I recently had need to remove my Accu-Stock to get at the trigger adjustment. I followed the manual's instructions and the action would not turn loose. I then noticed a small hole in front of the hinged floorplate and discovered another screw that I removed and the action came free. When the action came free a little machined block fell on the carpet. Oh joy! Where did that come from? It didn't take me long to figger out where it came from, but after I got done adjusting the trigger and went to putting the stock back on, the recoile lug did not wanna go into the space provided. I finally got it together by just barely engaging the screw into the little block so that there was a little slack and it fit together nicely. I then proceeded to tighten the front action screw as the manual says, and then I tightened the recoil lug block screw(I'll call it) and then I tightened the rear action screw.
    It sure would be nice if Savage would include the proper way to remove and re-install an Accu-Stock!!

Along time ago in a far away land a Savage engineer thought it would be a great idea to put a recoil lug clamp in front of the recoil lug. When the public started removing the screw and clamp when they realized that it hurt accuracy, Savage followed by omitting the same parts, the cutout in the chassis and the threaded hole since they were no longer needed. So you have an early version of the accustock. You can and possibly should remove the screw and clamp. On paper I guess it was a great idea. As I remember it was mostly in theory. They did not include any information on that clamp after they stopped making them.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Robinhood--Thanks for the enlightenment on my early Accu-Stock. I have shot some nice +- MOA groups with cast boolits in this rifle chambered in .250 Savage. Recently the groups started to open up as a result of too light a trigger pull which caused me to touch the sides of the trigger and thus causing the safety to engage. This caused me to break my concentration and shoot some fliers. I took the stock off, adjusted the pull to 12 ounces, and re-assembled thew stock as mentioned. I have yet to fire the rifle to see if it helps. I'll keep in mind your suggestion to remove the screw and clamp should accuracy still be an issue.