Thread: Mods for 64 Magazine & Reflex added

Basic Member

Thumbs Up Mods for 64 Magazine & Reflex added

Hi - Just a quick note to advise a possible mod to help with 64 Magazines. I've had trouble with these for years and done many things to try to get them functioning well, polishing the ramp, cutting a spring(not advisable),filing 'sharp edges', etc. Older posts detail these attempts. Anyway, 5 out of 6 just recently started to frequently 'catch' on the bolt and stop the cycle. So after finding one that worked well and noting the position of the 'rear' ledge stop, I mixed up a batch of JB and applied a bit to each of the offenders. The next day I tested them and made slight adjustments with a fine file. The result has worked OK so far - no hang ups. Funny thing is the JB looks different on each and a couple didn't need any filing at all, but they ALL work now. We'll see how this holds up and advise if they fail.
    On another note, I just put a cheap Reflex on with an offset mount I had unused. It has to be 45* since it cannot tip any more to the left, but it aligns with my Left eye. I co-registered it at 50 just to see how it worked for 'snap-shots'. It works OK, a bit quicker than the scope for 3-4 " POI. I'll keep track of this one and advise, too. Pics attached.
    ** SORRY - pics of Reflex 'vanished -this AM, fixed Noon Tues. **

Mags w-JB
    [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]

Reflex on 64
    [IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 07-06-2020 at 09:54 PM. Reason: add pics

Basic Member
    HI - Just an update. I was out today and this mod seem to be working OK. Well, the JB has done the trick on 5 of the 6 mags. I think that one was filed down just a hair too much. It worked OK with snaps but today at the range it still 'caught' the bolt and wouldn't cycle at all. The others were great. Today I fired about 100 rounds with NO feed probs, firing pin probs (I've 're-shaped' the striking surface - it had ca. 1000 rounds and was light-striking) and had some one-hole groups of 5 at 25yds, and most under 1" AT 50.
    I bought a Bushnell Engage 6-18x50 for my Rem SPS-TAC .308 and moved the Vortex 4-12x40 onto the Savage-64 so I had to shoot lots of 25yd to get this zeroed. Then, I had put a reflex ($40CDN amazon.ca) on a scope-side mount and had to shoot about 30 to zero that at 25 then 50. Now ready for 'snap-shots' with the reflex or 'good' shots with the scope.
    But the main thing is that the JB works and I was rotating the mags every 5 rounds so all 5 got a workout and the JB held, at least thru 5 reps so far.
    I'll keep updates as the summer goes on.
    Ed

Great minds think alike (almost)!

I added a micro-thin patch of JBWeld to the magazine housing. Now all of my magazines work flawlessly.

If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!