Thread: who makes the best bolt lift kit

Basic Member

who makes the best bolt lift kit

i have a savage ashburry . excellent gun . the bolt after a few hundred rounds has smoothed a bit . but it is still one of the more disturbing lifts of my 5 savage rifles .

My opinion. The best bolt lift kit has a shorter BAS or spacer.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    All 3 of mine were done by SSS during a T&T. With no disrespect at all to them, I never really like how loosely the the 38spl case fit the sleeve inside the bolt. I removed them from mine and replaced them with one that I made that perfectly fits the sleeve and holds a small ball bearing. They were pretty easy to turn out on the lathe with some brass rod I had.
    I have one other savage that is all factory and has never been touched. I plan on doing it when I get the time. I have not decided if I want to make a spacer, or shorten the BAS. The spacer would be easy to make, but look ugly. So I am thinking shortening the BAS. I will just have to figure out a good way to hold it first. But before I do that, find the time to do it!

Team Savage

I bought one of the most commonly recommended lift kits, installed "as shipped" and honestly could not tell any difference whatsoever on my 12FV. After a few sessions I removed it and went back to original which isn't bad on my rifle.

Any time you had something between the cocking piece sleeve and the BAS you increase spring tension. You trade the friction reduction for increased spring rate. To see a real difference you must add a spacer behind the bolt handle or shorten the BAS. This way you will maintain the factory spring compression and reduce the friction. Then you will realize the benefit of reduced friction.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I make My own lift kits from a 38 Special case. I use a 4mm ceramic ball in the primer hole. This set up adds about .075” to the length. I chuck the cocking piece sleeve in the drill press and run the back side down against a file until the .075” is removed, then debur and polish the edges. I also remove 2 coils from the firing pin spring, and readjust. To get the most from this modification, everything that rubs on any part of the bolt assembly must be smoothed and polished.

I have done this modification on 3 Savage bolts. All 3 are much improved, and one of them came out really well. Even so, the best one still upsets a 65lb Heavy Gun in the bags when the bolt is cycled. I have decided, no matter what We do, you can’t “RUN” a Savage action. But that’s alright, I can live with what I’ve got.

This modification depends on thorough knowledge of the Savage Bolt and Action, and mechanical aptitude and tools to complete the job properly. Proceed at your own risk.