Thread: Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger?

Rifle Basix Sav2 trigger?

So those of you who use them are they worth the money? I've always replaced my Savage non Accutriggers with the Sharp Shooter Supply Competition Trigger and have loved that trigger. However, SSS has discontinued the trigger because they don't work with the new bottom bolt release Savage rifles. I'm asking as I have an old Stevens 200 that's about to get a new barrel and I want to upgrade the trigger at the same time.

Basic Member
    RifleBasix says the SAV-2 will not work on a bottom bolt release action.

Basic Member
    Sorry I didn’t ready your post correctly.
    As far as the SAV-2, I like the one I have. It’s set at 14oz but was a bit of a pain to setup.

Team Savage
    For bench shooting? For hunting? Go with the Rifle Basix I .
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    For bench shooting? For hunting? Go with the Rifle Basix I .
    I'll tune the original trigger before I spend money on the Sav-1 trigger. I just don't see where that model of trigger would be an upgrade over a polished up factory trigger with a new spring.

Basic Member
    I put a SAV-2 on one rifle months back. Was it worth it? Yeah, I think so. I did not think so while I was installing and adjusting it. It was not a fun installation/tuning experience. It was frustrating and I almost gave up. I finally got it set at 4 oz. I doubt it will pass a rigorous safety test, but it is on a bench type build. It is a very nice trigger. I bought another one to install on another rifle. When I work up the nerve, I will give it a try.

I have read many posts of people having a hard time getting the trigger adjusted properly, and I was no exception. I have modified all my Accutriggers and installed one SAV-1 trigger. The SAV-2 was by far the most difficult time I had with a trigger. But, it turned out great.

Basic Member
    I installed one recently and posted this about the SAV-2:

I took the plunge recently and purchased a SAV-2 from EABCO for about $150 total shipped. I had been running the stock Accutrigger turned down as far as possible for trigger pull force = 1.25 lbf. My goal was to achieve 8-10 oz., similar to what I run on my Remington actions with Timney Calvin Elite trigger systems.

Did I achieve my objective with the SAV-2? Yes, I did. Was it a simple installation? No, it was not.

The installation is challenging due to retaining the factory sear. In my opinion, the installer will need to possess above-average mechanical skills and understanding. By the end of the installation, you will fully understand how the Savage trigger system functions. I suppose this is a good thing. I used the YouTube installation video provided by Rifle Basix to guide my work. The video is fairly well done but does not exactly replicate the process required. Nonetheless, I was able to make sense of it and get the install completed. The SAV-2 trigger system does offer a myriad of adjustments (trigger pull, trigger over-travel, sear engagement, etc.). You will need to tune all of these, but I did not find this process difficult. I spent about 2 hours on the effort total. I had to perform some minor fitting/filing of my CDI trigger guard which added about 30 minutes. At the end, I achieved a very reliable 9 oz. trigger pull. It does not have quite the crisp feel of the Timney CE, but is certainly good enough. I am happy with the result. I do recommend this trigger IF you have above average mechanical aptitude and know the challenge going in. Also, a fair amount of patience is required.

Team Savage
    And when you're finished with the installation, bump the butt stock HARD on the ground a few times ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER. That's the only way you'll know if it's good to go.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.