Thread: 110 trigger group

Basic Member

110 trigger group

I have a pre 1966 110 that I used as a basis for a varmint rifle. In the process of trying to improve the trigger pull I have messed up the bolt release sear trip.
    Does anyone know if the post 1966 adjustable group will replace the previous one? I could tig the part and rework it, but would prefer to have an adjustable trigger.
    Thank you

Basic Member
    It's been many years but I did replace all of the trigger parts including sear and safety parts with a post 66 set and then installed a timney.
    The biggest hurdle is making the bolt release lever clearance on the side of the action. Don't try to bend it.....it may break...
    It's best to machine it using a post 66 reciever for the dims.
    Trouble is finding all the parts you need. I had several actions to scavenge from. But using another action might be easier than what you propose, unless you have all the parts.

Basic Member
    changing actions is not an option. The bolt spacing will not match post 66. But I do have access to post trigger group. The pre 66 trigger group is terrible and there is no fix for it. Replacement is the only option. If it can be done. Savage will not verify. I saw the difference in the bolt release lever and I will be sure to machine it to fit.
    Thank you.

The trigger group on the 1966 and earlier 110's was shorter in overall height, so if you try to replace it with one from a newer gun or an aftermarket trigger you will need to replace the stock as well as the trigger shoe will be about 1/4" or so too long and will bottom out on your trigger guard before the action seats into the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank you for the information. Replacing the stock is not an option. Have done that already. I will have to work with what I have. I can make a new trigger guard if necessary. That being said. Does anyone have a post 1966 trigger for sale? Either non or accu trigger.

Basic Member
    The trigger, trigger bracket and sear from current production will work, the hard to find part is the safety.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I will work in that direction. I could live without a safety.
    Thank you. Still tying to find complete trigger group. Will have gunsmith contact Savage after they return from break. Maybe Numrich Arms. Or someone on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by backwoods blacksmith View Post
    Thank you for the information. Replacing the stock is not an option. Have done that already. I will have to work with what I have. I can make a new trigger guard if necessary. That being said. Does anyone have a post 1966 trigger for sale? Either non or accu trigger.
    Just an FYI for going forward, your last sentence above is a violation of forum rules. Specifically, no FS/WTB/WTT type posts are permitted outside of the classified boards.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    OOPS sorry won.t happen again.

Basic Member
    I will work in that direction. I could live without a safety.
    Thank you. Still tying to find complete trigger group. Will have gunsmith contact Savage after they return from break. Maybe Numrich Arms. Or someone on the forum.
    The safety is necessary for the function of the trigger.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I knew that.. Not thinking clearly

Basic Member
    I have looked at the rifle basic trigger. Still will need safety bar and sear. The Jard trigger looks good but pretty pricey after getting trigger group and safety bar. But it is the complete trigger group. As it is a varmint rifle and will mostly be fired from a rest the 18 oz pull should be no detriment. It will definitely be a huge improvement. Just choking over the cost.

An Accutrigger doesn't need a safety.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    But you need the safety bar for the group to work correctly

Basic Member
    But you need the safety bar for the group to work correctly
    https://www.midwayusa.com/rifle-safe...ctedSort=False

Hope this link works, looks like Midway has an aftermarket safety bar that will use the Savage spring. Not sure but your smith may be able to get you the spring. One step closer anyway.

Edit: use the filter for brand; Strobel

Basic Member
    Thanks for the pointer. Will definitely look. If I could only locate a sear.

Basic Member
    A gunsmith can order a sear from savage (i believe).

Basic Member
    After exploring all possibilities and in the interest of time i broke down and ordered a Jard trigger. I hate to spend that kind of money but I can live with it.

Basic Member
    ^^ Don’t feel bad “bb”. I to bit the bullet. I’m looking forward hearing how Your installation turns out. I also would like to know what type of shooting you intend to do with this application and what trigger pull weight You intend to set.

Thanks...GG

Basic Member
    I use it for ground hogs and coyote. Digger squirrels beyond 200 yds. I order the 18 oz version as I like a trigger I can feel

Basic Member
    Several years ago I called Savage with the same question regarding changing a pre-66 trigger to then current 3 screw trigger. They referred me to a Savage retiree who was the expert on the original actions. I can't remember his name, but he told me it could be done, but would require machining on the receiver.

Basic Member
    I did install a Jard trigger group and I did have to remove some metal from the side of the action for bolt release clearance. I was able to to it with a die grinder and small carbide burr. 5 minutes and it was back in the stock.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stsavage_0813a.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	7410

A good photo showing how sear spring should be located. Probably the OP is good now, but makes thread complete...