Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chang from .308 to 6.5 to 6mm whats it take??????????????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    Good points Dave. Didn't mean to defend one over another. Hornady marketing has put an edge certainly to the Creedmoor with all mfgs. making a variety of ammo .
    for the CM.
    If the std 260 had a longer throat that would be my choice any day but a short action magazine may not cut the mustard anymore. Most of my builds use a long action so it wouldn't make a difference to me.

. .The OP may very well be better off with the 260 because of possible extraction problems with the CM. The increased diameter at the shoulder is just enough in some actions to "wedge" the case between the lug abutment and the bolt rail during extraction. Sometimes a small amount of clearance must be ground/machined in this area to prevent case drops.
    Also the shorter CM case (~.100) forms a steeper angle during extraction and this can contribute to more case drops due to other tolerances within the bolt & bolt head.
    Nothing that can't be remedied, but there will be less chance for problems with a 308 to 260 conversion.

This has been a good thought provoking thread. I hope the OP has good luck with his project and catches the same "addiction" that most of this brotherhood has!��

No need whatsoever to apologize my friend. I didn’t think you were. And even if you were, so what...ya know? Everyone is free to choose as they please...for whatever reason they choose. I like all the 6.5s. Don’t think you can go wrong with any one. When I decided on this, I wanted the most powerful 6.5 that will still easily be Mag fed. Otherwise, I would have gone 6.5-284.

Edited: because I’m not playing the same old game with certain people. Ignore list updated.

No need to apologize for pointing out the attributes of the 6.5 CM.
    Yeah. For me he "classic" write up by Demigod on the 6.5x47 vs 6.5CM vs 260....still applies. "The 6.5 Creedmoor is the 260 done right."

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I agree..that all sounds really good on paper. But it doesn’t correlate to the real world, save for FACTORY loading. Reloaders are ALWAYS achieving higher velocities with 260.

Your Franken-cartridge sounds pretty cool. But if we are going that route...can just go 260 AI and push 140gr pills @ 3000fps all day long. Or say screw em both and grab a 6.5PRC, to light em both up.

Im not taking anything away from 6.5cm. It’s great. But to a reloader, the 260Rem has an edge in velocity while keeping all else equal. The “evidence” of this agrees with me.

Exit: Many are pushing 130gr Berger Hybrids to 3000 easily. So, once again....not saying it’s better.. I’m saying it’s better for max velocity, which means greater distance.
    You seem to argue about everything,Dave.

I own and shoot 2 custom 6.5 CM's,a 260 Remington,and built a 260 AI that didn't impress me at all. When it comes to comparing the 6.5 CM - 260 Remington - 6.5x47 Lapua,it's all a toss up. 50 -100 fps means nothing in real world shooting! Being able to load out to the lands,and still being able to load shells into a magazine does,and most 260's can't pass that test.
    If I need to shoot a 6.5mm bullet over 3000 fps,I just grab my 6.5-06 and let'er rip. Why try to make a short action cartridge pressure out when you can just go bigger.

I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years. In that time,I've seen a lot of cartridges come and go. In reality,there are no "Best" cartridges,there's the ones that you choose to like and shoot.

Get off your throne Dave,you don't know it all.

I am offended Dave, I think you called me a liar.

Just trying to validate your claim......How many Creedmoor's have you owned and used extensively? What projectiles did you use in your Creedmoor? What ones do you use in your 260. What type of shooting do you do and what type of shooting did the 260 shine. What was the epiphany that told you your 260 flat out smoked your 6.5 Creedmoor? At what range or on what animal did you see this dramatic difference in terminal performance?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    That's alright Dave. I forgot there is an Ignore setting on this forum,but now I no longer will need to see all of your "Know it All" postings.
    You may be a nice and smart guy,but you don't know everything about firearms or shooting them. A lot of us have been doing it longer than you've been alive,and we may know a thing or two about them.

Basic Member
    I think the 50 fps advantage is lost when you factor in optimal charge weight for a rifle. Rarely does a rifle shoot best at max charge. So there may or may not be a velocity advantage at all. Also powder choice and bullet choice brass ect... 50 fps is ez to loose when finding most accurate load . Always accuracy over velocity . No one likes a fast miss.

Basic Member
    I guess i took it that you meant that i was a liar when i said my brother shoots PRS and he shoots his last 3 6.5 Creedmoors with 140 ELD-M's at 2920 FPS... I was merely relaying the progression from 260 to 6.5x47L to 6.5 Creedmoor and that the 6.5 Creedmoor is his favorite.

Me,
    The easiest 6.5 is the Creedmoor. It is a perfect prs starter cartridge. Easy to find factory loads and easy to load for. Does everything a 260 can do and does it better.
    You,
    Stating that 6.5cm does everything a 260 Rem does and does it better, is flat out WRONG! Its easy to prove that as a LIE.

Me,
    I am offended Dave, I think you called me a liar.

You
    Robin, No, I didn’t call you or anyone else, anything. I made factual statements.
    Now who is lying Dave? I think you are.

However, I gave you a chance to qualify your facts
    Just trying to validate your claim......How many Creedmoor's have you owned and used extensively? What projectiles did you use in your Creedmoor? What ones do you use in your 260. What type of shooting do you do and what type of shooting did the 260 shine. What was the epiphany that told you your 260 flat out smoked your 6.5 Creedmoor? At what range or on what animal did you see this dramatic difference in terminal performance?
    You did not respond, Why? Because you have no experience but what you read. If I had asked a knife question you may have been able to dazzle me with brilliance but with rifle cartridges you can only baffle me with BS. Your little verbal snipes don't go unnoticed either.

Not a problem. I think TxHillbilly has the right solution. It can really make a thread hard to follow when some are on ignore but I think It is the best option.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I guess i took it that you meant that i was a liar when i said my brother shoots PRS and he shoots his last 3 6.5 Creedmoors with 140 ELD-M's at 2920 FPS... I was merely relaying the progression from 260 to 6.5x47L to 6.5 Creedmoor and that the 6.5 Creedmoor is his favorite.
    So is it one of us or both? LOL

Banned
    No, want2ride. I knew you were simply repeating a story.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    No, want2ride. I knew you were simply repeating a story. I do not believe your brother is seeing even close to 2900 with 140gr in 6.5cm... of course not! No one has EVER posted a video of 6.5cm even close to 2900fps with 140gr.(I mean in normal 26-28” barrel lengths and not getting STUPID with it! Of course one can push any cartridge to insanity...doesn’t make it a “normal”) Again, I didn’t call anyone anything. Creedmoor just does not do that velocity with 140s.
    Once again,You don't know what the hell you're talking about Dave.

I don't have any issues hitting 2900 fps with a 143 gr Hornady ELD-X,and can push a 140 gr Berger VLD a little faster out of my 26" barreled 6.5 CM's using Reloader 17. They go even faster with Reloader 26,but I don't care to use it. I use Lapua brass,and can still go up .3-.4 grains before it starts flattening the primers.
    I shoot out to a mile with it often.

This is how it shoots after tweaking the seating length a little.

Basic Member
    Oh,And here's the gun and the range I shoot out to a mile at.

The range at zero magnification-

And zoomed in so you can see the target's. I'm shooting on the right side lane.The first target just past the trees is 700 yards,and they go out to 2k yards from there. The farthest that I shoot is 1793 yards with a 6.5 CM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12