Thread: Chang from .308 to 6.5 to 6mm whats it take??????????????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Chang from .308 to 6.5 to 6mm whats it take??????????????

I have been considering changing my FCP 10 .308 to different caliber such as 6.5 cm or a 6 arc. What all has to be changed besides the barrel? will my mags still work? My bolt face be alright?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1Doggy View Post
    I have been considering changing my FCP 10 .308 to different caliber such as 6.5 cm or a 6 arc. What all has to be changed besides the barrel? will my mags still work? My bolt face be alright?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    I can only speak for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but everything should work if you change to it. it runs the same bolt face as your .308. Your mags will still work just fine. You will need to get some headspace gauges, and the tools to take the old barrel off and install the new one, but that's about it.

What Sage Rat said. For a 6 ARC you would need a different head for your bolt. If you are are wanting a small case to shoot 6MM bullets with , look at the 6 GT. Same bolt face/head as your 308.

Basic Member
    Or 6mmBR

Banned
    You could switch to 243 Winchester or 260 Remington & the only thing required is a barrel swap. You can even reuse all the 308 brass you have saved!

That’s what I do. Have a 260, and picked up a 1000 pieces of LakeCity 7.62 brass tho resize. For my range ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You could switch to 243 Winchester or 260 Remington & the only thing required is a barrel swap. You can even reuse all the 308 brass you have saved!

That’s what I do. Have a 260, and picked up a 1000 pieces of LakeCity 7.62 brass tho resize. For my range ammo.
    I am considering this 260 Rem, i will have to readup on it!

Basic Member

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Going the 6.5 CM route will be the best chance for the magazine to work. Also shorter cases like the 6 arc are also more likely to have extraction/ejection problems.

Basic Member
    What is the intended use ?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    A good mechanical aptitude helps. Overconfidence can be a liability.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I am primarily shooting amateur PRS matches at a local ranch. The ranges at the last event were 400yds to 1200yds, I was having difficulties with my savage mags.

If changing to 6.5 cm i see new savage pulloffs for a couple hundred, or should go to aftermarket for a few more like an apache in this classified. My 308 has always shot sub moa with the Savsge barrel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    Standard saami reamer specs have a free bore at .070 & .090 longer on the Creedmoor allowing to seat farther out than the 260. The longer CM neck is a plus here allowing to seat boatails out of the donut area. The 30° shoulder and larger diameter powder column also help offset the difference in capacity (2 - 3 grains). Saami pressures are also slightly different. I've had both and each are excellent. Right now I've been working on a hybrid of the two that uses a shortened 260 case with a 30° CM shoulder angle & neck. H2O capacity is 2-1/2 grains more than the Creedmoor. Case is similar to the Creedmoor being .075 - .080 longer. OAL case length 2.006 with trim length at 2.001. So far load testing has 2925 fps close to max with 130 Bergers in a 22" Savage tube and well over 3000 in a 26" Shilen. Kind of best of both worlds excepting heavier bullets may be well over a 3" mag length near the lands. The 130 Bergers are approx 2.965 ATL.
    Another advantage is 260 cases in the CM die transform the 20• shoulder angle to 30° in one pass. One fireforming has them near final capacity.

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    This is all just nit picking. Your skill with the rifle and care in reloading will make more difference than which of these calibers you pick.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    I agree..that all sounds really good on paper. But it doesn’t correlate to the real world, save for FACTORY loading. Reloaders are ALWAYS achieving higher velocities with 260.

Your Franken-cartridge sounds pretty cool. But if we are going that route...can just go 260 AI and push 140gr pills @ 3000fps all day long. Or say screw em both and grab a 6.5PRC, to light em both up.

Im not taking anything away from 6.5cm. It’s great. But to a reloader, the 260Rem has an edge in velocity while keeping all else equal. The “evidence” of this agrees with me.

Exit: Many are pushing 130gr Berger Hybrids to 3000 easily. So, once again....not saying it’s better.. I’m saying it’s better for max velocity, which means greater distance.
    You seem to argue about everything,Dave.

I own and shoot 2 custom 6.5 CM's,a 260 Remington,and built a 260 AI that didn't impress me at all. When it comes to comparing the 6.5 CM - 260 Remington - 6.5x47 Lapua,it's all a toss up. 50 -100 fps means nothing in real world shooting! Being able to load out to the lands,and still being able to load shells into a magazine does,and most 260's can't pass that test.
    If I need to shoot a 6.5mm bullet over 3000 fps,I just grab my 6.5-06 and let'er rip. Why try to make a short action cartridge pressure out when you can just go bigger.

I've been shooting and reloading for over 40 years. In that time,I've seen a lot of cartridges come and go. In reality,there are no "Best" cartridges,there's the ones that you choose to like and shoot.

Get off your throne Dave,you don't know it all.