Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chang from .308 to 6.5 to 6mm whats it take??????????????

Chang from .308 to 6.5 to 6mm whats it take??????????????

I have been considering changing my FCP 10 .308 to different caliber such as 6.5 cm or a 6 arc. What all has to be changed besides the barrel? will my mags still work? My bolt face be alright?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Kev1Doggy View Post
    I have been considering changing my FCP 10 .308 to different caliber such as 6.5 cm or a 6 arc. What all has to be changed besides the barrel? will my mags still work? My bolt face be alright?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    I can only speak for the 6.5 Creedmoor, but everything should work if you change to it. it runs the same bolt face as your .308. Your mags will still work just fine. You will need to get some headspace gauges, and the tools to take the old barrel off and install the new one, but that's about it.

What Sage Rat said. For a 6 ARC you would need a different head for your bolt. If you are are wanting a small case to shoot 6MM bullets with , look at the 6 GT. Same bolt face/head as your 308.

Basic Member
    Or 6mmBR

Banned
    You could switch to 243 Winchester or 260 Remington & the only thing required is a barrel swap. You can even reuse all the 308 brass you have saved!

That’s what I do. Have a 260, and picked up a 1000 pieces of LakeCity 7.62 brass tho resize. For my range ammo.

Basic Member

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    Going the 6.5 CM route will be the best chance for the magazine to work. Also shorter cases like the 6 arc are also more likely to have extraction/ejection problems.

Basic Member
    What is the intended use ?

Thanks in advance, Kevin
    A good mechanical aptitude helps. Overconfidence can be a liability.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I am primarily shooting amateur PRS matches at a local ranch. The ranges at the last event were 400yds to 1200yds, I was having difficulties with my savage mags.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    You could switch to 243 Winchester or 260 Remington & the only thing required is a barrel swap. You can even reuse all the 308 brass you have saved!

That’s what I do. Have a 260, and picked up a 1000 pieces of LakeCity 7.62 brass tho resize. For my range ammo.
    I am considering this 260 Rem, i will have to readup on it!

I am considering this 260 Rem, i will have to readup on it!
    It's the 6.5 Creedmoor predecessor.... One advantage of the .260 Rem is that you can still use all your .308 cases and neck them down to the .264 bullet. If you can take full advantage of your case capacity, you might get an extra 50 fps over the Creed, all things being equal. The draw back is, finding off the shelf ammo is darn near impossible, so you've got to be reloading.

I love mine, but I built it on a long action, and had it "match" chambered so I could seat the bullet way out and still feed from the Magazine.

I was reading up on 6.5x47 Lapua and am real interested in it. I bought Federal gold medal 168 smk until i had enough to reload, got a copycat load off of Accurate Shooter and have been loading it since. What would i have to do to necksize to .260 just run it through a die? Will it do that in one shot? I have been reloading since 82 but ive never done any necking up or down.

I was reading up on 6.5x47 Lapua and am real interested in it. I bought Federal gold medal 168 smk until i had enough to reload, got a copycat load off of Accurate Shooter and have been loading it since. What would i have to do to necksize to .260 just run it through a die? Will it do that in one shot? I have been reloading since 82 but ive never done any necking up or down.
    The simple answer is "yes" and "no"...

if you neck down .308 brass then you may have to turn the necks to get rid of doughnuts that can happen.

I found that necking .243 brass up was as simple as running it through the .260 sizing die. Nothing else required.

After the first few times of up sizing Hornady .243 brass, I decided just to bite the bullet and went with Lapua .260 Rem brass and never looked back.

Banned
    I love my “6.5-08” as it was first known as. I chose it when 6.5CM was gaining popularity. I researched both of these and decided to go with 260 for the reasons benefits we’ve said. While there is not as many choices off the shelf as with 6.5CM, there are still plenty of factory 260 loads online. Just do a search on Midway or any popular ammunition sales organization online. But it is a reloaders “dream”. And that is all I use, are my reloads. Like I said, I use once fired Lake City 7.62. Crimped primers and all. I decap, clean, & swage the primer pockets. Then I run through a 7mm-08 first, then 260 FL sizer. I know many others just go right to using the 260. But I’m meticulous, and I enjoy reloading as I enjoy building firearms & gunsmithing. I don’t mind the time spent, because I find it enjoyable.

Basic Member
    My brother started shooting PRS matches with a .260, then went to a 6.5x47L, then to the 6.5 Creedmoor, and he has had 3 customs in that and likes it he best. They all were accurate, so really that is not an issue. He is running his 6.5 Creedmoor at 2920 FPS and it seems that all of his 6.5 Creedmoors have had a great accuracy node right around that speed, and the last 2 he has gotten 2500-3000 rounds out of them and still attaining 1/2 MOA accuracy, but just in preparation for the barrel being that close to being toast he has replaced them. So he is still not sure how much life is left, but for loading that hot, i figure he is doing well. He was shooting a different bullet weight in his .260 and the 6.5x47L so it is really hard to say how they ultimately stack up, other than when he was doing test loads with the 6.5x47L he was not getting nearly the speed when he was testing the same weight. Other than the 6.5 x47L being slower than the other 2, everything is about the same.

Basic Member
    These guys collect and report on a lot of info concerning match shooters. Some is a few years old but may be valid until newer/hotter cartridges come out, like 6.5PRS (note the rule change in PRS that caused the development of the 6.5PRS).

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/...-the-pros-use/

There was a note in one of the articles that the 6.5's were losing favor since many of the matches have moved from steel to electronic targets. The 6mm's would not ring/move the steel enough to record a hit. With electronic targets that is not an issue so the lower recoil of the 6mm's has made them more popular. That may or may not apply to your.

The easiest 6.5 is the Creedmoor. It is a perfect prs starter cartridge. Easy to find factory loads and easy to load for. Does everything a 260 can do and does it better.

If changing to 6.5 cm i see new savage pulloffs for a couple hundred, or should go to aftermarket for a few more like an apache in this classified. My 308 has always shot sub moa with the Savsge barrel

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I am plus 1 on 6.5 Creedmoor . Efficient, low recoil , extremely accurate , very high bc on bullets, flat shooting, ez to load for, standard chamber dimensions, boat load of brass to choose from, long life on barrels, plenty of room for maximizing oal to get to lands . Inexpensive components . How many other cartridges have this full list of attributes .

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    Standard saami reamer specs have a free bore at .070 & .090 longer on the Creedmoor allowing to seat farther out than the 260. The longer CM neck is a plus here allowing to seat boatails out of the donut area. The 30° shoulder and larger diameter powder column also help offset the difference in capacity (2 - 3 grains). Saami pressures are also slightly different. I've had both and each are excellent. Right now I've been working on a hybrid of the two that uses a shortened 260 case with a 30° CM shoulder angle & neck. H2O capacity is 2-1/2 grains more than the Creedmoor. Case is similar to the Creedmoor being .075 - .080 longer. OAL case length 2.006 with trim length at 2.001. So far load testing has 2925 fps close to max with 130 Bergers in a 22" Savage tube and well over 3000 in a 26" Shilen. Kind of best of both worlds excepting heavier bullets may be well over a 3" mag length near the lands. The 130 Bergers are approx 2.965 ATL.
    Another advantage is 260 cases in the CM die transform the 20• shoulder angle to 30° in one pass. One fireforming has them near final capacity.

Banned
    I apologize if anyone thought I was talking directly to them. I made a statement only...but I’m not playing this game anymore. So I simply deleted it.

My posts cleaned up & Ignore list edited. Have fun continuing an argument I won’t see.

Basic Member
    This is all just nit picking. Your skill with the rifle and care in reloading will make more difference than which of these calibers you pick.

Basic Member
    Good points Dave. Didn't mean to defend one over another. Hornady marketing has put an edge certainly to the Creedmoor with all mfgs. making a variety of ammo .
    for the CM.
    If the std 260 had a longer throat that would be my choice any day but a short action magazine may not cut the mustard anymore. Most of my builds use a long action so it wouldn't make a difference to me.

. .The OP may very well be better off with the 260 because of possible extraction problems with the CM. The increased diameter at the shoulder is just enough in some actions to "wedge" the case between the lug abutment and the bolt rail during extraction. Sometimes a small amount of clearance must be ground/machined in this area to prevent case drops.
    Also the shorter CM case (~.100) forms a steeper angle during extraction and this can contribute to more case drops due to other tolerances within the bolt & bolt head.
    Nothing that can't be remedied, but there will be less chance for problems with a 308 to 260 conversion.

This has been a good thought provoking thread. I hope the OP has good luck with his project and catches the same "addiction" that most of this brotherhood has!��

MNbogboy, No need to apologize for pointing out the attributes of the 6.5 CM. The numbers of rifles chambered in either cartridge tells the tale. I have both and the 260 stays in the closet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast