Thread: Best factory ammo for .223

Basic Member

Best factory ammo for .223

Hi, all. I have an AXIS in 223 Remington with only a few rounds through it. Am wondering which varieties of factory ammo I should try. No doubt there are some that my rifle will "like" better than others. Any recommendations, either for best or worst?

Thanks

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Patriot View Post
    Hi, all. I have an AXIS in 223 Remington with only a few rounds through it. Am wondering which varieties of factory ammo I should try. No doubt there are some that my rifle will "like" better than others. Any recommendations, either for best or worst?

Thanks
    What twist ratio is the barrel.. big thing to consider is to match pull weight to twist raitio.. some will seem to shoot anything well but by far proper match up between weight and twist are pretty important.. as far as 223 rem I wouldn't really know.. i load only to 5.56 range in 5.56 or 223 wylde chambers but weight and ratio apply just the same

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    What twist ratio is the barrel.. big thing to consider is to match pull weight to twist raitio.. some will seem to shoot anything well but by far proper match up between weight and twist are pretty important.. as far as 223 rem I wouldn't really know.. i load only to 5.56 range in 5.56 or 223 wylde chambers but weight and ratio apply just the same

Pill weight to twist ratio^^^

Basic Member
    Fiocchi 50gr vmax was always good in mine...

All Savage 110's made after 1995, and all Axis rifles have 1-9 twist except for a few specific Target/Precision rifle models that are/were offered in a 1-7" twist.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...t-Rate-History
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    All Savage 110's made after 1995, and all Axis rifles have 1-9 twist except for a few specific Target/Precision rifle models that are/were offered in a 1-7" twist.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...t-Rate-History
    As for ammo recommendations, really depends on what you're wanting it for.

For varmint shooting, look for ammo with 50-55gr bullets. Flat-base bullets will offer a little better accuracy for shorter shots under 300 yards, while boat-tail bullets are typically better for shots longer than that. The afformentioned Fiocchi has proven to shoot well for me, as has Hornady's Varmint Express and Superformance Varmint.

For longer range target work, most stick to ammo with 68-70gr match grade bullets like Federal's God Medal with 69gr Sierra Match King. A select few have found they can shoot 75gr bullets in their 1-9 twists, but most find they will keyhole. Really need a 1-7 twist for the heavier bullets.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    As for ammo recommendations, really depends on what you're wanting it for.

For varmint shooting, look for ammo with 50-55gr bullets. Flat-base bullets will offer a little better accuracy for shorter shots under 300 yards, while boat-tail bullets are typically better for shots longer than that. The afformentioned Fiocchi has proven to shoot well for me, as has Hornady's Varmint Express and Superformance Varmint.

For longer range target work, most stick to ammo with 68-70gr match grade bullets like Federal's God Medal with 69gr Sierra Match King. A select few have found they can shoot 75gr bullets in their 1-9 twists, but most find they will keyhole. Really need a 1-7 twist for the heavier bullets.
    I can attest to that, my 223 wylde will drive nails with 78 to 77, will do 62 gr with acceptable accuracy but 55 or lower have not found a accurate load

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    I can attest to that, my 223 wylde will drive nails with 78 to 77, will do 62 gr with acceptable accuracy but 55 or lower have not found a accurate load

I just fired my 10T-SR yesterday for the second time, (bought 2 weeks ago). The first time out I used 55gr Win white box and 55 gr Fed American Eagle, not match obviously but I was curious. The results were around 2"+ with no wind, so not great.

Yesterday I brought 3 boxes of match ammo. Hornady 73grELD Match, Nosler 77gr HPBT Custom Competition, and Federal Premium 73gr Gold Medal Berger Open Tip Match. Everything I read on the net and saw on Youtube said that in my 1:9 .223 barrel, anything over 70gr would not stabilize and may key-hole.

Winds were gusting up to 30 mph, so not great and I did pull shots that affected my groups. I got one sub .5" groups from both the Nosler and the Federal ammo, the majority being .75-1". The Hornady was within 1.25 when if don't count fliers when I screwed up. I have a Savage 10 FP in .308 and it does not like Hornady either?

So what I learned was check for good advice on what to use for your twist but don't follow it as gospel until you have tried it yourself.

Basic Member
    I also use Sierra Match King's in my .223 Axis. 77gn at 2800fps are accurate well beyond 600yd. For fun I shot it at 1000yd (wind about 5mph and variable) and all 10 rounds were within 18". Then took 5 more rounds to hit the gallon milk jug I set up. 69gn have also been very accurate. 1/2MOA for either weight is not uncommon with many groups below that.

Nosler match bullets and Hornady ELD's have been almost as good as the Sierra's. I settled on the Sierra's for my shooting.

One caveat. It took about 200rounds to settle down. First groups were 2MOA.

https://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Strathcona View Post
    I just fired my 10T-SR yesterday for the second time, (bought 2 weeks ago). The first time out I used 55gr Win white box and 55 gr Fed American Eagle, not match obviously but I was curious. The results were around 2"+ with no wind, so not great.

Yesterday I brought 3 boxes of match ammo. Hornady 73grELD Match, Nosler 77gr HPBT Custom Competition, and Federal Premium 73gr Gold Medal Berger Open Tip Match. Everything I read on the net and saw on Youtube said that in my 1:9 .223 barrel, anything over 70gr would not stabilize and may key-hole.

Winds were gusting up to 30 mph, so not great and I did pull shots that affected my groups. I got one sub .5" groups from both the Nosler and the Federal ammo, the majority being .75-1". The Hornady was within 1.25 when if don't count fliers when I screwed up. I have a Savage 10 FP in .308 and it does not like Hornady either?

So what I learned was check for good advice on what to use for your twist but don't follow it as gospel until you have tried it yourself.
    I agree, twist rates are kind of a rule of thumb to get started but definitely not a absolute.

Basic Member
    I have used Norma tax 55gr fmj bullet . Excellent brass to save if you ever want to reload ,or save brass and sell it. This load shoots under 3/4 "for me many in 1/2 or under. It used to sell for under 7.00a box . Better with less expensive ammo when breaking gun in.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdombuilder View Post
    I have used Norma tax 55gr fmj bullet . Excellent brass to save if you ever want to reload ,or save brass and sell it. This load shoots under 3/4 "for me many in 1/2 or under. It used to sell for under 7.00a box . Better with less expensive ammo when breaking gun in.
    Best factory ammo is whatever your rifle likes the best.. ive seen $50 a box ammo shoot like crap and then the same rife shoot under moa with winchester x ammo $17 a box.