Thread: Looking for case options for my new Axis XP 30-06

Looking for case options for my new Axis XP 30-06

Hello there. I recently purchased an Axis XP in .30-06 and am looking for a "hard" case to store it in. Have looked on Amazon to explore my options; however not sure what size should go with as I have a Caldwell 9.5 - 13" Bipod also on this. Was looking at this one, however inside dimensions don't look right to me....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2WLRCUT0&psc=1

Was wondering if anybody on here could possibly lead me in the correct direction for a cheap "budget friendly" case that will work for this gun. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    Ever consider building your own?

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabe...case?rrec=true

This is the one I went with for my LR rifle. Got a 25" barrel, but only a 6-9 Harris bipod. big 6-24x50 optic.

You may have to remove your bipod and put it in the case right next to the rifle. With the double rifle case, you have room to put other stuff in it too. I waited until it was on sale for $150 (4 years ago).

It's a great case, water proof, (left it in the back of my truck at Elk camp and it rained/snowed 8" overnight... dug it out, opened it up, and my rifle was still nice and cozy inside) and the case is pretty darn tough (I'd ALMOST be ok with pushing it off a cliff).

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JDI2018 View Post
    Hello there. I recently purchased an Axis XP in .30-06 and am looking for a "hard" case to store it in. Have looked on Amazon to explore my options; however not sure what size should go with as I have a Caldwell 9.5 - 13" Bipod also on this. Was looking at this one, however inside dimensions don't look right to me....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...2WLRCUT0&psc=1

Was wondering if anybody on here could possibly lead me in the correct direction for a cheap "budget friendly" case that will work for this gun. Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated.

That looks it should work.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Ever consider building your own?
    thats something i been thinking about. maybe building a few rectangular boxes out of pllywood, and cutting them in two, and throwing some stain on it. i'm still trying to come up w/ some ideas on how secure the rifles once inside, while keeping them cushy and comfortable. id be open for some ideas. i've looked at the inside of them store bought cases before, i don't know, but lookin at that foam, i have hard time thinking that would hold a gun in place if it got banged around. nothin needs to be fancy/pretty for me, just practical, do the job

Basic Member
    I went with a Boyt case for my 12BVSS. Don't worry about it moving in the foam. And it does fit with bipod and scope, barely. Have to compress it quite a bit to get the latches engaged. But, that is the expensive route. It would stand up to just about anything.

My Axis I have in a Plano case
    https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...case/p/1262263

Not as much protection but better than a soft case. Not sure I would trust it to an airline luggage crew.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ice tea View Post
    thats something i been thinking about. maybe building a few rectangular boxes out of pllywood, and cutting them in two, and throwing some stain on it. i'm still trying to come up w/ some ideas on how secure the rifles once inside, while keeping them cushy and comfortable. id be open for some ideas. i've looked at the inside of them store bought cases before, i don't know, but lookin at that foam, i have hard time thinking that would hold a gun in place if it got banged around. nothin needs to be fancy/pretty for me, just practical, do the job
    Ive built quite a few, but mostly because guns with vey long barrels are hard to find cases for.
    Make the box first out of say 1x6 pine and cover both sides with plywood. Do all the sanding and filling before cutting it.
    Set the table saw and cut just the hinge side and install the hinges, then cut the other sides. unless of coarse you prefer a piano type hinge.
    The egg crate foam will in fact hold the gun well if compressed slightly.
    But i frankly have pretty much moved away from hard cases due to the size of them in smaller vehicles like Jeeps.
    The heavy duty canvas military type cases from Morton enterprises in WV are actually better and more reasonable. 304 947 7793

Basic Member
    thanks for the tips yobuck. I did check out Mmortons website, I might give them a call too. thanks again. Charlie, thank you also, 50 bucks for that one in the link, dont sound bad.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ice tea View Post
    thanks for the tips yobuck. I did check out Mmortons website, I might give them a call too. thanks again. Charlie, thank you also, 50 bucks for that one in the link, dont sound bad.
    Just make sure it is long enough for your rifle. Mine only has a 22" barrel. But, the rifle fits with a harris bipod attached.