Thread: Questions on a LH rifle build

Basic Member

Questions on a LH rifle build

I am a few months out on receiving a 6.8 SPC barrel for a small shank Savage. The problem is I am left handed for shooting long gun due to dominant left eye and unspectacular vision in mt right eye. End use will be plinking <300 yard hunting white tail.
    I should lined up the rest of the parts before I jumped at the barrel, but there was a short window to put my name on the list. No big deal if I can't do my build as there where more that wanted one than the production run.
    I would like to find a left hand donor Savage with a wood stock. The barrel is black (Melonited). The 6.8 Rem SPC is the parent case for the 224 Valkyrie, but good luck trying to find a LH Valkyrie Savage! I understand that a .223 bolt head can be opened up to the right diameter.

So....right now I am throwing this out to get any ideas the membership may have. While I prefer the 110 action, if I have go Axis I will be OK. It will be a hunting/woods walking rifle, magazine fed of course.

TIA, Rick

Info on the bolt head: https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...d-for-Valkyrie

As for 110 or Axis, both actions would use the same bolt head so it's really a matter of what you can find and/or want to spend. 110 based rifle will be more expensive going in, but if you can find a used one with a factory hardwood stock you'd be ahead of the game $-wise compared to going with an Axis and purchasing a Boyds laminate stock for it. Just make sure any 110 you get is a centerfeed action as I don't know how feeding would be in the older staggered feed magazines.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Thank you

Basic Member
    Check online for a good used rifle. The last 2 I bought to build, I got off gunbroker for very reasonable prices. The left hand models do not sell as well as the right hand (especially used) so most can be had for reasonable prices.
    I would check online auction sites and classifieds (like arms list or something). You might luck out and find a good used left hand wood stock rifle. Do not be in too much of a rush, since it sounds like you will be waiting on your barrel for a while. When I was looking, I would check online about once a week. One of them took me a month or two to find the right one. The other one I found almost right away.
    I personally would stick with the 10/110 center feed actions. There seems to be the most aftermarket support for those than the axis and the older stagger feed.

Basic Member
    Thank you.