Thread: Chassis Stocks

Team Savage

Chassis Stocks

I have been using a Cholat Ultra Varminter chassis stock and it really works. It has a piece of angle iron that the action sits in. But IT IS HEAVY. Is there a stock that is built similar with a chassis system that is not as heavy. I have all Long Action Stagger Feed with solid bottoms (no clip).

Bill

You might want to look at an mdt lss. Lss stands for Light Sniper system. It’s kind of heavy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ninner View Post
    You might want to look at an mdt lss. Lss stands for Light Sniper system. It’s kind of heavy though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be aware that the model mentioned has a very short forend
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Be aware that the model mentioned has a very short forend
    MDT LSS XL - longer forearm.

Basic Member
    The lightest chassis I've seen is the XLR Element 3.0 Magnesium at 16oz for just the chassis sans accessories. It's expensive and requires a lightweight grip and stock to keep the weight low.

Basic Member
    What about the XRS, weight is 3.9#.

Basic Member
    Oryx is worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by lonestardiver View Post
    MDT LSS XL - longer forearm.
    Thats what is under the BH TL3. The MDT LSS XL G2 It is much better than the LSS in my opinion. Unless you add a spigot to the LSS it is too short of a radius for the bipod...again IMHO the XL is a little flimsey out on the end.

The Choate isn't a chassis stock, it's a polymer stock with an aluminum V-block for bedding (not angle-iron). They're big, bulky and heavy which is great for Andre the Giant types, but most average size folks often refer to Choate stocks "Choate Anchors" for good reason.

The V-Block doesn't offer any benefit over a properly pillar and glass bedded stock so don't let the absense of one deter you from other brands/models. Unfortunately with the chassis craze that's hit the market in the last 10 years finding high quality laminate or synthetic stocks for a Savage just keeps getting harder and harder. Savage's insistence on continually changing things doesn't help matters either.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The Choate isn't a chassis stock, it's a polymer stock with an aluminum V-block for bedding (not angle-iron). They're big, bulky and heavy which is great for Andre the Giant types, but most average size folks often refer to Choate stocks "Choate Anchors" for good reason.

The V-Block doesn't offer any benefit over a properly pillar and glass bedded stock so don't let the absense of one deter you from other brands/models. Unfortunately with the chassis craze that's hit the market in the last 10 years finding high quality laminate or synthetic stocks for a Savage just keeps getting harder and harder. Savage's insistence on continually changing things doesn't help matters either.
    The one thing is that a feller who isn't confident in pillar install and bedding can bolt her up. They aren't that bad for beginner F/class either.

And chassis stocks can be reconfigured to fit operator in most circumstances.
    Hell, I butcher mine all the time.....LOL It's a shame MDT no longer offers
    the HS3, my favorite. One thing I've noticed over a few short years is, chassis
    stocks gravitating away from AR-15 type stocks.

As was mentioned though, Have a look at the MDT Oryx. It's also priced at
    what I believe is an absolute bargain.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

My general dislike of chassis stocks has always had to do with the fact that most of them are solid aluminum. As primarily a hunter that poses two issues for me. First, metal gets COLD! Synthetic materials are bad enough when the temps start approaching zero, metal is even worse. Second, metal is noisy. Every twig, branch, etc. that scrapes against it is going to make more noise than on a quality foam filled composite or wood stock.

The other big dislike I have, and this is just MY opinion mind you, is that many of them have odd designs where the ergo's are all but useless for anything but shooting from prone off a bipod (MDT LSS for example).

That said, I am glad to see some of the chassis makers shifting away from the solid aluminum construction and starting to offer some more "traditional" shape and ergo's. My favorite is probably the KRG Bravo, and I see they finally came out with it in LH for the Rem 700 so might have to snag one to upgrade my ARC Nucleus 6x47 Lapua build to replace the Greyboe stock that's currently on it.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    That said, I am glad to see some of the chassis makers shifting away from the solid aluminum construction and starting to offer some more "traditional" shape and ergo's. My favorite is probably the KRG Bravo, and I see they finally came out with it in LH for the Rem 700 so might have to snag one to upgrade my ARC Nucleus 6x47 Lapua build to replace the Greyboe stock that's currently on it.
    Then you can have one like mine! Did you ever get your Nucleus to fire reliably? I'm still running the original spring in mine,and have never had a single issue with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    Then you can have one like mine! Did you ever get your Nucleus to fire reliably? I'm still running the original spring in mine,and have never had a single issue with it.

Yes I did, but it required going to the 25# firing pin spring and as a result the bolt lift is between that of a factory Savage action and a T&T'd one. As such it's not a "one finger" process to cycle the action after firing. A real pisser considering the only two reasons I paid the money to buy one was because 1) I wanted the lighter/smoother bolt lift, and 2) controlled round feed. The whole ordeal just left a bit of a sour taste in my mouth which is probably why I haven't put buy maybe 50-60 rounds through it at this point. Haven't even finished load development for it yet, but it isn't doing too bad with my initial starting load.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02366.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	114.7 KB 
ID:	7285

Basic Member
    Well that really bites! It's weird that some Nucleus owner's had a lot of issues with the firing pin spring,while other's haven't ever had a single issue.
    I did have a dud CCI 450 primer last week when I went shooting,that's the first one for me. It wasn't the firing pin,the primer has a very big dent in it.

KRG hasn't listed a LH Bravo on their site yet,are you sure they are going to sell them. I know I was lucky that Justin allowed me to get my Bravo with the LH Whiskey 3 backbone a couple years ago. I just cut out the slot on the outer shell.