Thread: Reload Results

Basic Member

Reload Results

Took the Axis to the range this morning, Reloads: Winchester brass, CCI primers, 42.5 gr. Varget, 150 gr. Hornaday SST Bullets. Cartridge O.A.L. 2.735". 100 Yard Target (5 shot group). See pic..

Have you tried to adjust seating depth to tighten it up some?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester560 View Post
    Have you tried to adjust seating depth to tighten it up some?

Why??

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Why??
    If you are happy with it as is, there is no reason to.

Jester

Basic Member
    Your target looks great, especially for a 1st load. I'd hunt with that any day.

I would hope you are not put off by some comments.

Some of us are a bit obsessed with how small our groups can become. It is a personality issue that needs to be professionally resolved, although we are reluctant to consult a licensed practitioner. So, we deal with our mania by buying different powders, primers, bullets and cases. Then specially made tooling to measure and reload the cartridges. Then we spend months (if not years) of reloading and shooting, tweaking each of the many parameters to try to see small improvements.

Then if we have not been able to print a 10 round, one hole group, we either cry ourselves to sleep at night or we go out and buy another barrel/rifle to try to appease out inner demons. :)

Basic Member
    The way I see it, I bought the Axis for a "Beater" and my grandkids who are known to leave their equipment at home when headed to my ranch during hunting season
    The load I developed is a couple grains under maximum, easy on the recoil, and plenty accurate enough for shots under 200 yards.
    I have no obsession with hitting a paper target at 1000 yards or shooting 10 shot, one ragged hole groups.
    To each his own!

I wasn't putting your group down. It is a good group and if you are happy, good! Sorry if I offended you!!

Jester

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Your target looks great, especially for a 1st load. I'd hunt with that any day.

I would hope you are not put off by some comments.

Some of us are a bit obsessed with how small our groups can become. It is a personality issue that needs to be professionally resolved, although we are reluctant to consult a licensed practitioner. So, we deal with our mania by buying different powders, primers, bullets and cases. Then specially made tooling to measure and reload the cartridges. Then we spend months (if not years) of reloading and shooting, tweaking each of the many parameters to try to see small improvements.

Then if we have not been able to print a 10 round, one hole group, we either cry ourselves to sleep at night or we go out and buy another barrel/rifle to try to appease out inner demons. :)
    That is a little bit harsh IMHO, While we can agree that a hunting rifle and a plinker should have different expectations than a target rifle, when someone post a 1 inch group with the recipe It isn't outlandish for someone to offer advice. We all know what a rabbit hole accuracy can be. We also know that savages can shoot very well. No matter, Some are looking for help and some are not. I will leave it to the op to establish that up front. So don't be so hard on yourself and I!!!!

Bad Bob, Good job and get those kids out shooting. We need to hook up sometime bob. Im only an hour away.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I'd have no hesitation being confident when hunting with that load and result; especially deer sized game. Hunting is a great deal about getting close enough to shoot.

But, as Robinhood said, there is never really an end point when you start playing with reloading and load development.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    That is a little bit harsh IMHO, While we can agree that a hunting rifle and a plinker should have different expectations than a target rifle, when someone post a 1 inch group with the recipe It isn't outlandish for someone to offer advice. We all know what a rabbit hole accuracy can be. We also know that savages can shoot very well. No matter, Some are looking for help and some are not. I will leave it to the op to establish that up front. So don't be so hard on yourself and I!!!!

Bad Bob, Good job and get those kids out shooting. We need to hook up sometime bob. Im only an hour away.
    Not meant as harsh, just as an explanation for someone who may not be as able to distinguish how some offer advice.

And, yeah, I am a bit hard on myself when it comes to stuff like this. I realize that what I see as a hobby many will see as an unhealthy obsession

I like that group, and no need to go back to the loading room.
    Just a few normal bench tweaks could make that a 1/2 MOA group.
    The first thing that comes to mind would be what type of rest was
    used and shooter mechanics. And maybe check for proper action
    screw tension, and tang clearance, and barrel clearance and or
    scope settings. And how about a check on the trigger pull weight??
    The group also suggests a constant hold shift trying to stay on target
    with a heavy trigger, or just too much barrel hanging out over the
    rest, or whatever was used......Just my 4 1/2 cents
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    OK so lets just call that a one inch group so as not to need to get involved with precise measuring.
    Were hearing lots of opinions on it except as to how far a person should take a shot at say a deer after shooting a group like that.
    Remember now that 1” at 100 yds would equate to 10” at 1000 yds, all things being equal as for wind, shooting position etc. etc.
    Putting that group in that context makes it seem a bit different id say.
    Also remember that first round cold bore hits are a personal requirement, same as a small group size is.
    A dead deer never questions any of that, but for some reason we do, and maybe thats the part needing to be questioned.

If my Axis shot that load/group consistently from different positions, with and w/o rest, I'd be happy with it and consider that load ready for deer season.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67