Thread: Savage 10 308 FCP

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member

Savage 10 308 FCP

I purchased this rifle over a month ago and am disappointed in the accuracy department. This is the model that is sold with the HS Precision stock. I have tried Federal Gold Medal factory ammo to various hand-loads with six different propellants and with Sierra 175 SMK’s and Hornady ELD match bullets in 168gr, 178gr, and 195gr respectively. This barrel simply hates all the ELD match bullets. The best group shot was 1.5”. The rest was between 2”-4” groups. The only sub MOA group fired was with the Sierra 175 SMK’s.

I have a DPMS LR308 with a 24” factory SS bull barrel that shoots all of these hand-loads sub .5 MOA all day, any day, regardless of weather conditions.

The Savage has a Ken Farrell FG Mount, a LaRue tactical QD Mount with a Leupold Mk 4 scope that I have been using between both rifles. I have went over the Savage to try and find out if anything was loose. All scope mount screws are loc-tilted to 20” pounds, I have varied the torque settings of the action screws. Nothing has made a difference. The crown looks good with no knicks or gouges present. It just seems that I have drawn the short straw and got a bad barrel. I do have a barrel vise and nut wrench so changing the barrel is well within my abilities.
    Last edited by RG31; 06-18-2020 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Spelling correction