Thread: Trigger Guard Screw

Trigger Guard Screw

Hi all, I have just purchased a new to me, but second hand Savage Model 14 in 308, classic timber stock, bottom release for bolt. First Savage I’ve owned so finding my way around.

I am trying to source a new screw for the trigger guard and can’t find info on what or where to order, the action screws are hex head type and the current trigger guard screw is a blade screw driver head and stainless (looks out of place so was going to get a new one).
    Everyone keeps coming back with a timber screw thread but currently this has a machine screw and a aluminium bedding block set in the stock - I’m starting to wonder if this is not original now? Can anyone shed some light here please?

Cheers

I'm not familiar with that model but, you should be able to get a replacement screw by contacting Savage customer service.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

There is a big difference between the front and the rear screw. The front is 1/4"-28. the rear is a special hex driven wood type screw. To bad you are in NZ. I could take care of you if you wee here.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Forgive me as I seem to misread people’s post quite often but are you talking about the screw at the rear of the trigger guard? If so then it should be a “timber screw”. If it is not then the previous owner has made a modification to the rifle.

Thank you for the replies gents!
    @olddav what you say is what I was beginning to suspect... perhaps first owner used the torque settings of the action screw and ripped out the timber screw or just plain heavy handed. Here is a photo of what I have - probably should have included in first post. In fact looking at it now, in the photo I can see the bedding compounds are different colours. thanks

Basic Member
    I can’t see the picture.
    So what is your plan?

Sorry I’ve had a few problems trying to add the picture. Not sure what I will do, probably just live with the slot drive screw that’s in there and just paint it in enamel mat black paint. I will check a few engineering supply shops to see if I can get something similar to the action screws.