Thread: Please help on Stevens 110e series k 30-06

shicks71

Please help on Stevens 110e series k 30-06

My dad had this gun and it was given to me. Don't know much about it and have been lookin for hours. But it looks like I may have found the right place. Couple of questions. Serial number starts with D518, can someone tell me what year it is? And also is there an aftermarket stock that can be bought for this gun? Or does a Savage 110e stock fit this gun? Did Savage actually make a gun identical to this one and stamp it with Stevens? Just trying to make it easier on me if I need to find parts or something? Good shooter or not? Any help would be gladly accepted..... Thanks.

Re: Please help on Stevens 110e series k 30-06

good shooter, you tell us. most are.
    older savage and stevens do share stocks. most stock makers have stocks for that model.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

L.H. Clark

Schicks, Welcome to the site. I stumbled on the site about a year ago and all I knew was that I had owned several Savage and Stevens rifles and was always impressed with how accurate they were right out of the box, without any modifications. I never wanted to modify one because it always cost soooo much to do ANYTHING to a Remington, that I thought why sink that kind of money into a rifle that is so inexpensive and shoots so well anyway. I have learned different. Like the old saying goes: "Yesterday I couldn't even spell mechanic, Today I ARE one."

Let's see if we can give you some appreciation for that Stevens that your dad thought enough of to keep and have it handed down to you.

That rifle is more accurate than most anybody will give it credit for, because it's got a Savage lineage. Although if you get most people alone, they will admit that "one of the most accurate rifles I ever shot was a Savage." A Stevens is no different. They are the same action and barrel, they were just not given the same cosmetic attention to detail as the Savage line. Mechanically though, they are the same. You could do very little, with little money, and make that rifle shoot with the Remington's that people spend 5 times as much on, and you CAN do it yourself. It's that easy..... Remingtons, you can't without many dollars worth of special tools and know how.(pretty much)
    Your Stevens rifle has several innovations that many of Savage's competitors are now trying to outright copy or duplicate, because they are the reason for Savage's inherent accuracy. One of these is the "floating" bolt head. This allows the head to lock up into battery squarely and correctly and consistently every time. On a Remington you have to have your action trued to your barrel and the lugs and reciever lapped by a smith. The second is the barrel nut, recoil lug setup. Don't know why this is so accurate, but it is and many manufacturers are now copying it, from marlin to remington. That should tell you something. Stevens rifles were made to allow EVERYONE who has an appreciation for firearms, and accurate rifles the opportunity to OWN one or more and not take away from the food on the table. And they did it!

You have a great rifle, an accurate rifle (if it shoots like the rest of them), and an heirloom. KEEP IT.

I apologize that I cannot tell you what year it is. If you call Savage Customer Service and ask to speak to Effie Sullivan, she can probably tell you What day it was made. (Poor Effie, she gets all the calls! ;D) They are a great company to work with and you will get many, many years of faithful service out of that rifle, so enjoy it. And if you spend $12.00, you can get on to many of the areas of the site, even the classifieds and pick up parts to build your rifle into any caliber you want, easy peasy.

Have fun, and I hope all my preaching was o.k.

L.H. Clark

the lug and nut were made for speed and economy of barrel instillation. It had nothing to do with accuracy. It eliminated machining each barrel to fit the action it was being mated to. Savage was after a modular rifle that was easy and CHEAP to build. Nothing has to be hand fitted on there rifles. Hand fitting was the death of the 99.
    .223 Rem AI, .22-250 AI, .220 Swift AI .243 Win AI, .6mm Rem AI, .257 Rob AI, .25-06 AI, 6.5x300wsm .30-06 AI, .270 STW, 7mm STW, 28 nosler, .416 Taylor

OICU812

I stared a thread a couple of days ago that has some info. in it that was very helpfull in answering the questions you have regarding parts,stocks,etc. The thread is titled Stevens 110E, same as Savage 110?

ellobo

If all you want the rifle for is hunting, check Boyds. they make walnut and laminate stock that will fit your rifle and they are relatively cheap. I use them and am very happy with them. the may need some finish, like an oil finish or some minor inletting but tht isnt a problem. Just make sure the barrel and tang are free floated, not touching the stock. Put a few thicknesses of paper under the barrel when tightening the action mounting screws to keep the barrel centered in the stock. Check the float by runing a dollar bill under the barrel to see if it floats. If it needs a scope check to see if it has a flat on the rear of the reciever. If it does you need a scope mounting rail to fit. Older rifles have that flat. Newer ones are round. I think they did that so a peep sight could be added. Your rifle may have open sights on it. A scope can still be mounted. Any othe questions can be asked here.
    El Lobo