Thread: Short Review of Rifle Basix SAV-2 Trigger in Full Custom 12FV .223

Basic Member

Short Review of Rifle Basix SAV-2 Trigger in Full Custom 12FV .223

I took the plunge recently and purchased a SAV-2 from EABCO for about $150 total shipped. I had been running the stock Accutrigger turned down as far as possible for trigger pull force = 1.25 lbf. My goal was to achieve 8-10 oz., similar to what I run on my Remington actions with Timney Calvin Elite trigger systems.

Did I achieve my objective with the SAV-2? Yes, I did. Was it a simple installation? No, it was not.

The installation is challenging due to retaining the factory sear. In my opinion, the installer will need to possess above-average mechanical skills and understanding. By the end of the installation, you will fully understand how the Savage trigger system functions. I suppose this is a good thing. I used the YouTube installation video provided by Rifle Basix to guide my work. The video is fairly well done but does not exactly replicate the process required. Nonetheless, I was able to make sense of it and get the install completed. The SAV-2 trigger system does offer a myriad of adjustments (trigger pull, trigger over-travel, sear engagement, etc.). You will need to tune all of these, but I did not find this process difficult. I spent about 2 hours on the effort total. I had to perform some minor fitting/filing of my CDI trigger guard which added about 30 minutes. At the end, I achieved a very reliable 9 oz. trigger pull. It does not have quite the crisp feel of the Timney CE, but is certainly good enough. I am happy with the result. I do recommend this trigger IF you have above average mechanical aptitude and know the challenge going in. Also, a fair amount of patience is required.

Sounds good. Any pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Sounds good. Any pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Savage 12FV with Crit Barrel (2) by haganengr, on Flickr

Thanks for the time you took to review that trigger. I have done several of them, one modified to go on a bottom release in a XLR chassis.

I think they are very decent triggers. I do prefer a SSS trigger though.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I installed a SAV-2 on a 6mm BR build months back, which I have yet to shoot. It was a bit tedious dialing in everything properly. However, in the end, I had a 4 oz trigger which has a nice clean break. I am not 100% confident it would pass a stringent safety test. But, this is just for a bench rifle being shot under my conditions on my property. I will most likely install another one later.

Basic Member
    I did it, didn't like it, and went back to the Savage Accu-Trigger. Personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by indianasavage View Post
    Can you tell me what stock that is? Just bought a 12FV for a Shilen 243 barrel swap and I’m needing some stock inspiration. The chassis are calling me to the dark side.

Quote Originally Posted by knoxtnshooter View Post
    Can you tell me what stock that is? Just bought a 12FV for a Shilen 243 barrel swap and I’m needing some stock inspiration. The chassis are calling me to the dark side.
    Looks like a Bell & Carlson stock to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I do prefer a SSS trigger though.
    I do too! I wish we could get a special run of the Competition Trigger. I was so saddened to see they had been discontinued, Savage should have stuck with the top bolt release.