Thread: Savage model numbers are nuts

Basic Member

Savage model numbers are nuts

Ok the way I see it is the Savage 12 fv is really a model 10 or now a 110 .
    But the Savage ashburry is really a target action 12 but called a 10 .
    The ashburry i have came with a stock red blade ( target trigger). The action top is closed with the port window for a bolt opening
    The 12 fv is open top like all other model 10 the barrel shank on the cabellas model is small shank . (correct me if I am wrong) .
    The barrel shank on the ashburry is large shank like all other target actions . What the heck is wrong with Savage . Bad enough they keep making slight changes to action screw spacing center feed VS stagger feed magazines . Magazines with plastic tab Ala axis . Different types of bottom metal . Some side bolt release some bottom bolt release. Going from 10 model nomenclature to 110 both can be short action . How the heck is some one to know what they have 1/2 the time. If it was not for this forum we would all be lost. My belief is it is done purposefully . Their version of engineered obsolescence . Keep making changes to limit after market accessibility to make public buy new gun to get what they want . Making it difficult to customize our guns raises the probability we will just buy another, Unfortunately many others have just abandoned the brand for other less complicated options . Such small things to fix like bolt lift problem for decades. Or the ejection issues. We all have figured the solutions to these issues they are cheap ez fixes in manufacturing . I would pay a few bucks for a better manufactured gun. With their accuracy who could compete. Leave the axis line for budget gun but allow the upper line to have the best manufacturing processes . Lets stop sticking same old problems in another chassis calling it innovative and really polish the kinks out. You would not need to market it so much it would write its own ticket. Just my opinion lets take the challenge Savage ill be first in line.

I'm glad when I got into this rabbit hole, 116 was a cool 30-06 and such, and 10 was a 223 and 6.5 creedmoor and such. Long/Standard and Short.

Savage model numbers are nuts

Oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I'm glad when I got into this rabbit hole, 116 was a cool 30-06 and such, and 10 was a 223 and 6.5 creedmoor and such. Long/Standard and Short.
    Me too that’s when I got my 114 classic in 30-06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have 9 Savages bought over about 10 years.
    I don't think I ever looked at the model number until I was certain that the rifle had the features and caliber that I wanted.
    The only thing the model number did was allow me to be sure what was delivered was what I ordered.
    Every Savage I own shot great right out of the box.

If the model number is all you don't like about your Savage, count yourself lucky.

I bought a Remington 700 because of the model number and then had to change the trigger and the stock to get the accuracy that I bought it for.

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post
    I don't think I ever looked at the model number until I was certain that the rifle had the features and caliber that I wanted.
    The only thing the model number did was allow me to be sure what was delivered was what I ordered.

If the model number is all you don't like about your Savage, count yourself lucky.

I bought a Remington 700 because of the model number and then had to change the trigger and the stock to get the accuracy that I bought it for.
    I have a adl 700 i bedded the plastic stock it shoots great but that’s just mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CFJunkie View Post

I don't go by model numbers anymore. Center or stagger fed, Top or bottom bolt release. Pre accutrigger or accutrigger(1, 2 and 3). Target action and no. Large shank or small. Stainless or not. Old firing pin or new firing pin. Barrel profile.....

I cant take a Remington 223 and make it a 308. Feed ramps and bolt are different.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Yep, it is a mess. Model number doesn't seem to matter as much as the letters (or names these days). Like my model 12BVSS is a varmint rifle (V) instead of a target rifle. Which is how you get the 12FV's configuration (also a varmint rifle).

Basic Member
    please understand me i love my savage rifles i have 5 i think changing barrels and calibers and bolt heads is awesome. my accuracy is outstanding. if they shifted their focus from cost cutting to improvment a little they would open up un tapped markets . if they had manufacturing consistencies they could participate in after market access. even if they had to manufacter their oem parts under another flag name for liability issues. if they just made fixes for the issues they would have a sales boom . look at companies like boyds to the guy selling springs an washers as shims . everyone else is making money off their issues . if they really fixed issues they could sell guns for 2,000 bucks . if they had fixes for the existing issues they could tap that market. if they sold parts they could tap tinkerers market . if they had easily identifiable nomenclature they could make it all happen . they're leaving money on the table . look at the thread count on this site all talking about people wanting to improve their guns . this will improve their reputation. thats where the money really is . like i said they have excelent engineers . and they will always keep base model lines .

Basic Member
    Who cares what the name is, 11, 14, 10, 110.... none of that really matters. I never understood why people got so hung up on the names. if you want a stainless lightweight gun, get the lightweight hunter, who cares if it is a 116. If you want a new one it is now a 110 lightweight storm... the numbering is the least important part.If you want a stock, measure the screw spacing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Who cares what the name is, 11, 14, 10, 110.... none of that really matters. I never understood why people got so hung up on the names. if you want a stainless lightweight gun, get the lightweight hunter, who cares if it is a 116. If you want a new one it is now a 110 lightweight storm... the numbering is the least important part.If you want a stock, measure the screw spacing.

thank you for your comment . you made my point . we pay close attention to changes . the rest of the gun world is dumbfounded . they don'y know and the result is a tiny after market. thus thats why savage has so many different versions of the same gun . its hard to make your gun into what you want . but savage sells something kinda like what i want so i am persuaded to but another but never exactly what i want . what would happen if they made it simple and we could inter change options on a website and build our own rifle and maybe get a 10 round savage mag in a special stock with the redblade trigger 20 moa rail in a 30" fluted barrel or something or anything . but you cant to many meaningless variables .

Basic Member
    I've got a safe full of Savage actioned rifles,several older Staggered feed and several newer Center feed. I've never had any issues when it comes to buying aftermarket or factory parts for any of them.
    All you need to now is the action type,bolt release type,and action screw spacing. After that,you can find almost anything you want.

If that doesn't fix your needs,there are several custom actions to choose from,and you can build them anyway you want,the sky is the limit.