Thread: What parts for caliber change?

Basic Member

What parts for caliber change?

So I have a 12 FV in .223, I'd like to make it a 6.5 Creedmoor. As I understand it, all I should need is a barrel and bolt head. Is a new barrel nut mandatory, and as this is a target rifle, would I be smart to upgrade the recoil lug while I'm at it? Good source for bolt heads? Anything else I need to think about? Thanks.

Dave

Yes, Min. will be a bolt head and a BBl. plus tools to change the Bbl. If you plan to get an aftermarket bbl. and if you plan to **target shoot to 500 & beyond, a new recoil lug and Bbl. nut wouldn't hurt. Also , since your 12FV has a blind box magazine set up for a 223 case you will need a larger {.473} 308 size magazine follower.
    ** I added "target shoot" as a classifier between target shooting and hunting and their accuracy requirements, and how you set up your rifle for either.

Basic Member
    Thanks, this will be a target rifle only, not a hunter. It's currently set up as a single shot, and I have no intention of changing that, so no worries about the magazine. Was thinking recoil lug and new nut would be worth doing regardless, and I hadn't thought about a barrel nut wrench and go/no-go gauges (yet). Got a little shopping to do, but it sounds like I'm good to go. Thanks again.

Dave

Basic Member
    Everything you'll need is available at Northland Shooter Supply http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

I've done about a half dozen upgrades of the 12FV Cabelas special and shot my first match with a 12FV in 6.5 CM just a week ago and did OK. Some great laminate stocks available if that's your thing, Accustocks are good too and come up used from time to time for not much coin.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.