Thread: New Ultralite

New Ultralite

Hi all. I have been reading the forum for a while now, but now have a question for you. Just picked up my new Savage 110 Proof Research Ultralite. Looked down the barrel and it was filthy. Ran quite a few patches through. Then I used my bore scope to look down the bore. I don't think I have ever seen so much copper fouling before, not even in rifle I have shot 10 or more rounds through a one sitting. Is this normal for a new rifle? Must say I am more than a little disappointed.

Basic Member
    Sub MOA guarantee right? They have to verify that, and it may not be with the first ammo they try. Clean and see how it works!

Working on getting the fouling out. Just recently got the bore scope. Never expected to see that much copper fouling in a new rifle. Thanks.

Basic Member
    Many years ago here it was common to hear how rough savage barrels were and to be honest if you looked down one with a bore scope you would swear someone had taken a rasp to it. Also at that time there were factory team shooters on here who would help the members here from time to time with tips on how to fix problems with their guns. One savage team member took some photos of the factory barrel he was using at that time, (Team Savage won the world championship that year with those same barrels.) Since that time i have never looked down a savage barrel, you simply clean it and take it out and shoot it, it will be either moa or better or you come here and get help from the members here and it gets fixed.

My latest savage is a simple 6.5cm trophy hunter xp that second time out, (yesterday) did three rds in a .5 group and was looking good until i made the fourth rd a flyer making a 1moa group. However that also shows what your basic off the rack savage will do if your up to it.

Basic Member
    IMO, borescopes aren't totally useless, but almost.

I have three other Savage's, this makes four. First time I looked down a new rifle/barrel before I shot it. Yes, maybe better off without the bore scope. Never had a problem till I looked down the barrel. Should have rings and scope mounted this weekend. Rain forecast though.