Thread: I just don't get it... why does Timney allow this desiign oversight?

Basic Member

I just don't get it... why does Timney allow this desiign oversight?

I just attempted to install a Timney #633 trigger for Edge/Axis rifles. I'm assuming Timney didn't bother to test this trigger in anything but an OEM stock. I don't find that acceptable considering the solution is so incredibly easy. As you can see in these instructions, the sear set screw and the pull weight adjustment screw - once properly set - extend past the base of the trigger itself. Both of these areas must be almost completely flat to install into a Boyd's stock (and I'd imagine any other aftermarket laminate stock, if not all chassis). Why? The sear screw - again, when properly adjusted - makes contact with the base of the trigger guard, making the trigger fire itself when you cock the bolt when the action is installed. You cannot create enough of a relief in the trigger guard for this - it's a hard stop. The pull weight adjustment screw is less of an issue because technically I could just dremel some material out of the stock, but then I risk weakening the screw hole for the trigger guard "wood screw" (which already doesn't have much material). I'm not doing that.

Timney could simply do what Rifle Basix appears to do and provide shorter screws so this is never, ever an issue. The sear adjustment screw bolt is uncessary. Dried red loctite will prevent that screw from moving just fine (or use glue, like Savage does themselves). I've sent an email to Timney to see if they'll provide me shorter screws to solve this... we'll see. Otherwise, I will have to go find these somewhere in a shorter variety. Hopefully Ace Hardware has them otherwise I have no idea where to go. Just grinds me... this would never be a problem with shorter screws.

I put one on mine that is in a At-One thumbhole and it went with only very small amount of cutting. It was worth the extra effort.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Yep.

Basic Member
    I dont think the problem lies with timney. They made a trigger that works in the axis the way it comes from the factory. The problem may lie with the stock makers. They need to make there stocks accept the same trigger the factory stock does

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgoal View Post
    I just attempted to install a Timney #633 trigger for Edge/Axis rifles. I'm assuming Timney didn't bother to test this trigger in anything but an OEM stock.
    Do you really expect Timney to buy every aftermarket stock made for every rifle to make sure their product fits?

Why isn't it the aftermarket stock mfg's responsibility to make sure their stocks will accept Timney triggers?

Basic Member
    You didn't see the little disclaimer.......*."Gunsmithing may be required"
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Damit Timney! Unacceptable!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Damit Timney! Unacceptable!

Yeah! I was thinking yesterday...someone should say something about this...thanks for stepping up!

Basic Member
    Welp - worked with Timney who accepts feedback well and we changed out two screws (got shorter ones from Ace Hardware)! A very simple fix - eliminating needlessly long screws - makes this trigger fit into the Boyd's stock no problem. No trimming... no "gunsmithing" required. Be real, actual gunsmithing should NOT be required to install a FACTORY REPLACEMENT (not custom) trigger, common guys. Literally replacing two screws solved it and it now works like a charm. The point is, why is Timney including these massive screws for no legitimate reason other than cost savings (on a $2 product that MSRPs for $150) when Savage themselves keep the bottom of the trigger flat FOR A REASON? It's an oversight they admitted to.