Thread: Savage 110 Ultralight

Basic Member

Savage 110 Ultralight

I have a savage 116 lightweight hunter in .270 and that came with a lightweight and kind of flimsy stock and the cheap (yet lightest weight) magazine that they offer with the plastic clip on the front (axis style). When they were new Savage had an MSRP on them of $750.
    Having a couple Proof Research Carbon barrels on rifles, i was super excited to see that savage had a premium lightweight hunting rifle with a Proof Research Carbon barrel. I had read everything i could on them before ordering, so i had a pretty good idea of what i was getting into when i ordered.

Here comes the problem, i initially ordered a 300 WSM as this would be my main hunting rifle for elk and i would probably pass my model 11 300 wsm to my nephew and after shooting my model 11 the last time i thought it was pretty good as it was, and would likely have a bit too aggressive recoil in a package that was a pound lighter rifle and a pound lighter scope. So i went back and changed my order to a 6.5 PRC. They said that the distributor had 4 in stock so it would come in a couple weeks.
    Fast forward to now and my new Savage Ultralite arrived, so i picked it up this morning. I was so excited and spoke with the guy at the Local gun shop about how i loved my custom 6.5 PRC with the Proof Carbon barrel and was super excited to get it in a Savage... and when i got it home i realized that it was a 300 WSM. I brought it back and the shop realized their mistake and gave me $100 back for their mistake, and the price i got it from was already a great price. I was honestly only mildly disappointed, since i wanted a 300 wsm initially anyways.

I got the rifle locally for $1200 (and another $100 back because of their mistake, so $1100). The Proof Research carbon barrel goes for about $900 all by its self, so the price they sell the total package for is a phenomenal deal. When compared to the lightweight hunter, the stock is about the same rigidity and there really isn't any surprise there, because for the price you pay for the rifle above what the barrel costs, it makes sense that everything would be similar to the lightweight hunter, only updated to the as advertised accufit system. I did the dollar bill test and it is free floated, but it does look closer on one side than the other. The barrel is perfect as i expected. The newer style of axis magazines that they put on these is a pretty good step up from the bendable plastic clip on the front, and i just have a better feeling for the overall longevity of the magazine. It was easy to put in place and is advertised at 2 rounds of capacity for a 2+1 overall gun capacity.
    About the only thing i did not expect was the weight. I weighed it on a postal scale and it weighed in at 6 LBS 3.9 ounces. while 3.9 ounces is not a make or break amount, i was hoping that it would come in at the advertised "no more than 6 lbs". One other annoyance was the #8 screws for the rail kind of limit the choices for putting a one piece rail on it. I ended up ordering an $80 EGW Pic Rail from Amazon that was lost in shipping, so the order got cancelled and ordered a Nightforce from Midway for $120... i am not used to a rail costing that much.

Overall everything was pretty much as it was expected, and i am super excited to see how it will shoot. Having had a fair share of light rifles i understand the difficulties keeping steady enough for great groups.

Basic Member
    Just for reference i weighed (with a postal scale) the 300 WSM Ultralite and it came in at 6 LBS 3.9 ounces (advertised at no more than 6) and the 270 Lightweight hunter weighed in at 5 LBS 12.6 ounces, advertised at 5.6 LBS. It looks like both weighed a little more than advertised, but i have read a few reviews from other makes and one put the Tikka Ultralight at 6.3 LBS with an advertised weight of 6 LBS... so it looks like it is common to fudge just a little. I have altered my kimber a little so there is no getting a from the factory weight at this time, but it was advertised at 6.3 LBS and i added a muzzle device so it might be an ounce or two more, but it feels heavier... but still a good amount lighter than my model 11. One day i should weigh up that model 11 and the Kimber Classic Select to see where they really are, and not just go by feel.

edit, when weighed on our more accurate Mettler Toledo scale the Ultralite weighed 6 lbs 3.04 ounces and the lightweight hunter weighed in at 5 LBS 12.60 ounces.

Basic Member
    I got a scope on it, but since i have had some minot shoulder surgery and i didn't want to pop the stitches so i had a buddy pull the trigger.
    With only 30 total rounds through the barrel between the sight in and a couple groups with a load i just pulled out of my butt, and no load development... I was super surprised. It shot great!
    With 180 grain Midway bulk, he put up a 7/16 3 shot group and a 5/8" 6 shot group.
    With 212 grain ELD-x it was a 1" 5 shot with 3 in one hole and 2 in another hole positioned horizontally, so it has a lot of potential.

I never do a load workup until I have 120-150 rounds down the barrel, but I am super encouraged by the early returns. I will try to get some pics up when I get enough service to upload pics.