Thread: First shots with the new lefty.

First shots with the new lefty.

My wife got herself a new model 64 around Christmas time, and I liked it so well I just had to get me a lefty version. I'm blind in my right eye since age five, and this is the first left handed semi-auto I've ever shot. Nice not to have the brass bounce on your arm, but that's another subject. I finally got a chance to get it out and sight it in a bit this afternoon after I installed the Bushnell 3.5x10x36 A.O. .22 LR calibrated scope I bought for half price on sale. Long story short, I've got it all set up and still have less than $250.00 in it all together. I have been more than impressed (granted I've only shot 35 shots) with this little rifle so far. It seems, at this time, to be quite accurate. I shot a 3 shot "one hole" group at 25 yards with it practically straight out of the box today. I don't know why the model 64 doesn't get more respect than it does. With its almost fascinating history of how it came to be, and the other models and brands of rifle it started out as it has quite a story and lineage behind it too. I wanted to post photos, but my "photobucket" account is acting up and this forum doesn't seem to allow photos direct from my computer or phone. I guess you'll just have to take my word for it on the one hole group until I can get some photos loaded. Edit... I forgot to mention I shot that one hole group with Remington Hollow Point bulk ammo that was probably 7 years old.

I'll see if I can get this to work....

Nice! Let us know how you like that scope after you've used it for a while. I need to upgrade.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig! Does the protruding magazine affect carrying it while woods walking? I'm a lefty, too. Right handed but left eye dominant. No sweat with a handgun but like safety under my thumb or on the tang.

Quote Originally Posted by rifrench View Post
    Nice looking rig! Does the protruding magazine affect carrying it while woods walking? I'm a lefty, too. Right handed but left eye dominant. No sweat with a handgun but like safety under my thumb or on the tang.
    I haven't had any problem with carrying the rifle with the magazine in place. But, it does make it a little more tricky when shooting off bags on the bench. But, certainly not too bad to live with. One thing I really do like about Savage Co. is that they do have far more dedicated "left hand" models available at very little increase in cost, than any other firearms company I know of.

Basic Member
    I agree with the variety of left hand models available from Savage, but wish there were a little more variety in chambering selection for the LH models.