Thread: Can someone explain to me what a Model 12 .308 was supposed to be in the model "lineup" a

Can someone explain to me what a Model 12 .308 was supposed to be in the model "lineup" a

A cheap pig ? Up grade over a 10 or 11 ?

Found one that is a K serial. The owner said it was a one shot- I thought the 12 was 3+1, 3 in the internal mag, 1 in chamber rifle.

Best as I can figure the rifle is 16 years old and he still wants $600(625 w/ transfer) shipped. It is in a nice, well known, aftermarket stock company that is still in business but made more stocks in the 70's and 80's(ie while a nice aftermarket composite stock, it ain't desirable now, unless you were building something to look "vintage").

The reason I figure the rifle is 16+ years old is this: It is a K serial with an accutrigger. Accutrigger came out in '02. K was already being used. K was stopped in 2018 best we know 2018-2002= 16 years, + 2 more after 2018... It is somewhere between 18- 8 years old. I can't find any Savage literature with the 12 after 2012. Newest ? 8 yo. Oldest 18yo. Bedded to composite aftermarket stock(in a very nice color).

The barrel appears to be a bull barrel. Can't tell if it is photos, but it looks like the recessed crown is little caddywampus(that's an industry term for anyone unfamilar).

Can't get bore scope or bore cam pictures. He's a gun shop and doesn't have muzzle or throat erosion set. It does not have any form of front or rear iron sights.

I'd like to have iron sights- I could use a Keyway cutter on my mill on the front of the barrel. set it at center. That or adapting a Skinner sight. On game(2-4+ legs) I try to keep shots in the 100yd range, but much like ATT the value of being able to reach out there and touch something isn't lost on me, so the fact this was drilled for scope mounts is nice.

Accutrigger movement still seems crisp from a cellphone video, it was dirty though- as in the accutrigger was visibily dirty. Odd thing: these stocks are made with QD sling mounts. The rear sling one is still there, the front one has been replaced with a screw and spray bomb paint, making the screw- while flush to the stock and counter sunk- stick out.

Wait for something cheaper locally ?

Any opinions or thoughts ? My IMGUR is not letting me load pictures, my Google Drive is not working, and his pics are not png, jpg, or gif- so I'm sure how to d/l. Besides. Someone might buy it before me.

Basic Member
    The model 12 was / is available in either the Varmint action / repeater or the Target action / single shot. Should have a Stainless Steel action and varmint or bull contour barrel.
    Yes,the model 12 is a big upgrade over a model 10 or 11.
    Value? Whatever you're willing to pay for it!

New Target 12 K series actions run $550 new at NSS. If you
    plan on a new build, NSS is your cheaper route in the long run
    for a zip code rifle. For hunting, I'd keep looking if your concerned
    about weight, and needing magazine storage.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    You can look at the Savage web site for all the different model 12's they have now.

Don't know when it changed but the recent target accu-triggers have red blades. Varmint have silver blades.

Team Savage
    "Value? Whatever you're willing to pay for it". That says it all right there. Single shot?
    Beware of the man with a single shot rifle cause he probably knows how to use it.

All of my rifles are single shot and I DO know how to use them.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Team Savage

A "K" prefix serial number should be 2013 or later - https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...Firearm-Dating

It is in a nice, well known, aftermarket stock company that is still in business but made more stocks in the 70's and 80's(ie while a nice aftermarket composite stock, it ain't desirable now, unless you were building something to look "vintage").
    We would have more to go by if you would have said "It is in an old xxxxxxxx stock that was made for xxxx style shooting.

The ambiguity in your post along with some assumptions really makes it difficult to asses value. As Phil posted the rifle action at least is Newer. Some things to investigate.

What was the original model? Is the stock original? Is the trigger the original trigger. Many model 12's were either a varmint or target trigger. Is it the original barrel and what is the cartridge chambering? 308, 223, 6br, etc.... How many rounds? One of the big problems when buying a used savage is that there are a lot of morons that think that they can work on guns and they can't. You could end up with a Frankensavage built by a hack who is trying to unload their disaster. You could also be buying a gun from someone who doesn't want to rape someone on a great gun.

At $600 with a low round count and a desirable chambering and a good functioning action I would think that would be a more than fair price. We still don't know what stock you have.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I verified the specifics.

2015 Model Model 12 purchased 2016: a glassbedded, aluminum pillar bedded (reinforced) stock- it's a OD green, it's a Boyds stock. Original owner said that it is 26" bull barrel. He sold it to buy a .450 Bushmaster Lever gun to go into the Swamps with. He originally bought it. He said so far as he knew, it did not have it's barrel crown damaged. He has the Savage scope bases he can send me, as well as the original black stock.

The way the stock is built I could not tell for sure if it was B&C or Boyds. It is a Boyds stock he had coated green. The comb raises but the buttstock does not.

Thank you for the information. It is greatly appreciated.

Basic Member
    I don't know if Savage answers their phone in the customer service dept. these days, covid and all, but you used to be able to call them with the serial number and they'd tell you what it was and when it left the factory.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

savage 12, B prefix, nice walnut stock, heavy barrel,

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    The model 12 was / is available in either the Varmint action / repeater or the Target action / single shot. Should have a Stainless Steel action and varmint or bull contour barrel.
    Yes,the model 12 is a big upgrade over a model 10 or 11.
    Value? Whatever you're willing to pay for it!
    it has the language "before use read....."
    any information on this model?

That warning seems to be a fairly recent thing to put on a barrel?

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by 007shooter View Post
    it has the language "before use read....."
    any information on this model?

That warning seems to be a fairly recent thing to put on a barrel?
    All target actions with the red blade accutrigger of recent manufacture contain that warning on the receiver.