Thread: Boyds "Spike Camp" Stock on Axis Sporter Barrel .223

Basic Member

Boyds "Spike Camp" Stock on Axis Sporter Barrel .223

In case anyone is curious. I pillared it but haven't bedded it (yet). If I feel it needs to be, I'll have that done.

The inletting of my particular stock was sufficient to mount it (like, the action fit) but it's not anything I'm impressed about and I had to clear out small chunks of material. Additionally, the upper pointed end of the barrel channels came almost like they made contact with something (but it was wrapped up well in the shipping box) and a laminate layer on one of those pointed ends is separated at the tip for approx 1mm. Also, you can move the end of the end of the barrel channel enough to make contact with the barrel if you do it on purpose. Normal bi-pod use doesn't seem to eliminate the free-float.

It feels pretty good overall. If I were custom making this, I'd make some notable adjustments to the grip, especially in the palm area between the thumb and index finger - feels like that needs a little more meat to contour to the palm but you do get a health grab on it with the thumb wrapped around. With the thumb not wrapped around (instead placed on the same side as the palm), you can feel the stock sort of dig into your thumb some. I actually prefer to shoot this type of stock with the thumb in the non-wrapped position on the bench... it's livable, nothing that's going to make me shoot any worse. My "size Large motorcycle gloves" hands fit nicely for trigger position, though, so that's nice. The stock feels better standing and pointing vs. on the bench, which is likely due to the shorter (for me) LOP. Finally, either my barrel is slightly canted to the right or the barrel channel is not dead straight. The barrel is free-floating, but is slightly closer to the channel edge on the right side at the end. Oh well...

I can certainly live with it but I'm not "in love" with it. It's certainly better than the plasty-mcbendy OEM stock.

I kind of want to get a new trigger now (I have the M*CARBO kit, only a minor improvement). But... spending money on a low priority (for me) rifle isn't making sense right now.

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/y1hvSaR78qsJv6Qu7

I agree with you, "not in love with it" I especially don't care for the thumb hole area and the fore end tip shape.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    FWIW, the Pro Varmint on my Axis feels 'thin' in the hand grip area. It's almost like they didn't want to make the stock any thicker than necessary.

Basic Member
    That stock is gonna break right behind the pistol grip........
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That stock is gonna break right behind the pistol grip........
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    For those of you who order this stock, you need to know that "the rest of the story" is you must ALSO purchase a trigger guard and bottom metal kit to finish the job! Shame on Boyd's for omitting this info....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wildcatgoal View Post
    In case anyone is curious. I pillared it but haven't bedded it (yet). If I feel it needs to be, I'll have that done.

Finally, either my barrel is slightly canted to the right or the barrel channel is not dead straight. The barrel is free-floating, but is slightly closer to the channel edge on the right side at the end. Oh well...
    Noticed on the website:

ATTENTION CUSTOMERS : For short action calibers; 22-250 REM, 223 REM, 243 WIN, 308 WIN, 6.5 Creedmoor, or 7MM-08 REM. When assembling, hold the barrel in the center of the channel and tighten screws.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    For those of you who order this stock, you need to know that "the rest of the story" is you must ALSO purchase a trigger guard and bottom metal kit to finish the job! Shame on Boyd's for omitting this info....
    I'm guessing they didn't put the black plastic trigger guard in the box? Says it's supposed to come with one, and I would assume that's why it's $15 more than one that doesn't need it.

As for the bottom metal, don't know there. I ordered one for my 116 TH XP but ordered the wrong stock for it. I ordered a Savage 110 bottom bolt release detachable mag. I replaced the bottom metal, but I think it would have worked fine without replacing the bottom metal. Fine with me though, needed to get rid of the crap plastic mag anyway.

I may order one for my axis creedmoor. All said and done I like it 100% better than the featherweight thumbhole. You don't have to reach "into" the hole like the featherweight.