My sister and I both learned to shoot with a Savage "Sporter" on a range built in the crawlspace under the house back in the early '60s. I graduated to a Mossberg 144LSA and shot NRA Jr. Rifle for a number of years. I still have the Mossberg (not for sale) and several semi-auto .22 LRs. I had a hankering for another bolt action .22 - a plinker but with proper sights. The Mk II FVT seems to be the only .22 on the market with a decent peep sight and front globe sight short of a true match rifle for 10 times the price. I had a local dealer order one in and I picked it up Saturday. It took just a few shots to get the sights regulated at 25 meters. I then found, to my delight and contrary to what Savage customer service had told me last year, that the front globe is 18mm in diameter and will thus accept Anschutz style clear apertures which I use in other rifles. I installed one and sighed in at 50 yards on Sunday. Great accuracy with CCI Blazer 38 grain bulk pack just to start but of course I have already discovered the extraction issue. I will deal with that...

Of course my "plinker" seems to have the makings of a decent target rifle. The biggest drawback is the stock. If I inletted a 2x4 it could not be less ergonomic. Yes, I knew what it looked like before I purchased it. (It was supposed to be just a plinker toy.) I have been searching around on the 'net for stock upgrades. DIP Products has some interesting stocks which are close but I would really like at least an adjustable cheek rest. Boyd' has this one called the AT ONE, Savage MKII which is about 90% perfect - except that the pistol grip is at about a 45 degree angle and I would prefer something more vertical and I want an accessory rail for an offhand spacer an hand stop. I guess I should have bought an Anschutz - only 8 or 10 times what I paid for the Savage

So for my question... Can anyone give me some other leads on a target type stock for what is really a nice, low priced target action?

TIA,

Ken

p.s. Upon further investigation I find that the AT-one has optional adjustments for butt plate height and swivel. Boyd's sells has a more vertical target grip and a wider forearm insert. So the only thing missing is the rail. I can get a Freeland rail for about $12. I guess I could inlet and install it myself.

p.p.s. Here is a picture of my Ersatzshuts Savage next to my Anschutz 8001. Still several work items remaining on the At-One stock (and some splashes of blood red paint to complete the zombie look :-)