Thread: Stevens 311 d

Basic Member

Stevens 311 d

Anyone have a way of reinstalling the mainsprings? I had to disassemble a corroded one and having issue with the reinstall

Basic Member
    There’s a very good YouTube video. Search “Stevens 311 shotgun reassembly tips.”

Basic Member
    I seem to recall using a slave pin to hold everything in place, then you have to hold you tongue just right and speak to it while referring to it's mothers heritage!

Basic Member
    I just put one back together last week. I came up with a method that used a drill press or mill. Put the receiver in a vise with the tang side up. Once you get the springs started in the correct position, lay the hammer against them. I then chucked up on a 6" long 1/4" rod in the drill chuck and centered it over the notch in the hammer. Compress the hammer against the spring with the quill of the drill press or mill till the hole lines up and start your slave pin. Move to the other side and do the same thing.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    They are tough. You will need a drill press , or a wood clamp vise. Use a slave pin to line up the holes. I did one , never again ! Locking pin goes in from right to left. Ridges are last in. Start with the right hammer.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobups View Post
    They are tough. You will need a drill press , or a wood clamp vise. Use a slave pin to line up the holes. I did one , never again ! Locking pin goes in from right to left. Ridges are last in. Start with the right hammer.

There is a webb site I found, called Gun Tests Describes installation word by word.