Thread: Precision Target Trigger

Basic Member

Precision Target Trigger

I’ve read through a lot of old posts and bumped into this question a few times but it wasn’t ever definitively answered. Can you, or can you not, take the trigger off a Precision Target action and put it on a Model 10 without modifications? Most of the answers I’ve found concern just using the springs from a Precision Action and not taking the whole trigger assembly. The Model 10 serial number is G121xxxif it matters.Any help will be much appreciated.

If the model 10 is an Accutriggger..yes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    The trigger itself is no different, it's the sear and the accublade spring that is different on the 6 oz version.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The trigger itself is no different, it's the sear and the accublade spring that is different on the 6 oz version.
    Are these parts available from Savage or anywhere else ??

Thank you

Have you looked the FAQ section over?

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...r-Part-Numbers
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    No, you cannot buy trigger parts or triggers from Savage, however they'll sell some parts to a gunsmith, including the sear. I've purchased several complete red-blade Target Accutriggers off the classifieds board here. It's a five minute swap out and I've replaced the triggers on most of my Savage guns that I use for target shooting only. I would not put one on a field rifle.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Gun Shack has the accu-trigger Target spring 1.5 to 2.5 lbs

Banned
    A standard Accutrigger can be set up to outperform the Target model. My modified stock Accutrigger makes my index finger smile as big as as any aftermarket trigger. The only one I might feel any better about is possibly the Jard. I’ll admit, they got it right! And I am a fan. But for the price, they can can keep it.

Not including outright novelties, aftermarket triggers are the biggest “Gotchya!” within the firearms industry. I am so happy that setting up triggers was the first bit of Gunsmithing I learned. Through the years I know people who have spent Thousands of dollars on aftermarket triggers for their rifles & pistols. While during the same period of time, I have set up my own. In fact I’ve modified the trigger on every single firearm I’ve had....and spent the money that COULD have gone to triggers, in other ways.

Please don’t confuse what I’m saying. For those who like doing aftermarket triggers, more power! I’m just reflecting on my own experience. More so, just relaying how thankful I am to have the knowledge. Because I’ve never had the kind of money to be able to buy triggers at will. If money weren’t an issue, I’d pick up one of those Jards. Like I said, they got it right! That’s all.

Basic Member
    DH, if You don’t own one of the new Jard’s, why do You say “they got it right”? I assume You are referring to the mechanical design? I “did” bite the bullet and pay the price, and have been left disappointed. Anyone wanting to know My experience with this trigger can look up My posts, because I don’t want to rehash it again.

I would like to install an Accutrigger on My older Savage actions, but it appears that acquiring one requires considerable trouble. Meaning classifieds, etc.

Different shooters expect different things from their triggers. Getting a good “hunting” trigger is not a problem.

My search is for a good Bench Rest quality trigger. At this point in time, My favorite trigger is the Sharp Shooter Supply, Rifle Basics Savage II a distant 2nd, followed by a Stevens 200 trigger that breaks clean at 2 1/2#’s.

The ELF trigger may have promise, if it can be worked down lower than 1.25#’s.

Hope this post is of interest to the OP, no intent to hijack... Thanks

Banned
    I don’t “own” many things. Doesn’t necessarily indicate I have no experience with them. My experience is such that I know good materials, quality machining & thought put into design. And the obvious I have mentioned several times, being the inclusion of a matching sear.(being the ONLY trigger to do so.) To me, quality materials, quality machining and inclusion of an important part of the trigger is very good evidence of a company getting it right. I know I’ve said this before, LOL.

That’s not to say it’s for everyone. I myself will not ever buy one due to cost.(I am also extremely fond of the 2-stage “feel” my worked Accutriggers give me). In addition being a 3-lever trigger, which is a bit different from the standard single stg. triggers we know on our Savages. That and having 4 adjustment screws, this trigger could very easily be difficult to adjust properly, to say the least. “You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time... Etcetera and etcetera..

Basic Member
    The only one I might feel any better about is possibly the Jard. I’ll admit, they got it right! And I am a fan. But for the price, they can can keep it.
    which Jard?

Basic Member
    I think Dave is referring to the latest Jard design that sells for about $285, including the Safety slide bar, delivered. I agree with Dave, in that it is a good design, and well built. I respectfully disagree in that He does not own one and apparently has not shot one, therefore He cannot make an accurate assessment of this particular trigger.

Submitted in good faith, for accurate Savage information

Basic Member
    I have one and shot it quite a bit. If you want low weight the Jard does seem to so that. The safety on mine has self adjusted to not work, but after break in and readjust, that seems ok. My gunsmith complained about the design a bit, but agreed there was no alternate.

My main complaint is that the leverage is such that you are moving the sear farther creating creep feeling. Still, it can be adjusted quite light and the pull can be learned. IME, creep feel is much about pull weight vs pull speed. For each trigger, I teach myself how fast to pull the trigger to get pull correct.

Basic Member
    ^^Yes. With the one I have, I have measured this movement(creep), at 3/32” before the sear breaks.

I agree we have to “teach ourselves” on specific triggers. If I’m shooting a rifle with a less than desirable trigger, I do what I call a controlled jerk. Make the rifle fire when the sight is on the target.

But this Thread is Precision Target Trigger. We can’t get more Precision than competitive Bench Rest shooting. There are plenty of Savage triggers for all other disciplines.

Savage BR shooters yearn for the equivalent of a Jewel trigger. The closest I have is an SSS Competition, and who knows when I could ever get another one, used. With it set at 6/8ozs, I pucker every time I close the bolt.

I still need to investigate the ELF trigger to see if it can be adjusted below 1 1/2#’s.

Good Shooting & Good Luck All