Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
Ted, Sorry for the gap in time, I had to take an old man nap. My point hinges on a gauge that is significantly longer or shorter than the length gauged of ones rifle chamber. That is why I asked if anyone had ever measured the case headspace on there modified cases. Some may be close to your headspace. Many of mine were off.

When you have found your lands with the hornady tool, you take you measurement from the base of the of the modified case to the ogive. Then you you will load based on that information. If you cases that you are loading are a different dimension from the base to the shoulder then the point where the bullet touches the lands will be an unknown. Granted, that may not matter if you start with a .030 jump.

Some people start with the bullets touching the lands and work away once they have found the load. If you notice that some guys are worried about any little interference that may impact their measuring. I'm not quite that anal. If you push something into the lands it will scar the bullet. possibly even stick the bullt when you extract.

I believe the split neck gauge is an improvement over the hornady setup for the reason that if you are using a case that fits that chamber, you are getting a very precise measurement. I use a dummy round and us the bolt close method. I retain the dummy round for reference I can re run the test after x number of rounds and see if my land are moving. That oddball BTO bulet comes in handy here.

Good banter and thank for humoring me.
I definitely start far and work closer, I recon thats why it never played a hand in my load dev and jump dev. BTW, I cleaned the garage and took a nap also:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk