Thread: heavy recoil ..can the recoil lug take it .

Basic Member

heavy recoil ..can the recoil lug take it .

I have an axis I made to 7 mm rem mag . Another person made a 300 win mag . He seemed to abandon the project . I am having accuracy issues. On my second Savage barrel . This one new. The stock is filled with rockite. My question is do you think the style of recoil lug fails to properly imobilise the action. I have other axis calibers they shoot with great accuracy. Is there any plausability to my theory , the recoil lug not a part of the action can cause movement in heavier recoiling calibers ?

Basic Member
    Yes it could. But, is it the source of your problem? Don't know. What is the accuracy and what do you think it should be? Is this a std weight barrel? Are you allowing the barrel to cool between shots? Sounds like it is a new barrel. Have you cleaned the copper out between shooting sessions? It may need to be broken in. Have you fired other heavy calibers with accuracy before? As the recoil increases so does the need for good shooting technique. Have you tried more than one bullet? Some rifless are sensitive to the type and weight of bullet used.

I built may 450 Bushmaster on the Axis action. I've put some very stout 300 grain loads through it with out any accuracy problems. I did have to weight the stock with a couple of pounds of #9 shot to tame the punishing recoil, now it's a *****cat.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I am running 4400 ft pounds of energy in the factory stock with no problems.

Basic Member
    i am thinking it may be the stock . i have cleaned the barrel with break in . its a sporter barrel i never shoot more than three shots in a string. i have used different bullets weights and powders . i have shot up to 338 lapua with out issue. i think i think i can feel stock flex may be in the grip magazine junction area. i am getting 1.5 moa at 100 at best. 200 is a mess. not sure if i should change stock or barrel. it is a savage sportster. 24 ". just not sure where to put my money first to work on issue . was thinking of fire lapping the barrel. to see if it helps. thats the least expensive option. to start problem solving. thanks for imput.

Basic Member
    Stock trigger? What scope and mounts do you have on there?

Basic Member
    stock trigger with spring mod . not as good as my red blade accu trigger but better then the hunting accu trigger . around 2 to 3 lbs my guess. crisp break no creep . dnz 1 piece mount bushnell 5 x 25 European not a common american model here. mill dot second focal plane . the vertical seems to be the worst part . factory loads not to good did hornady 154 gr sako 175 grain hornady 139 grain . hand loaded 162 eldm 154 sst tried hy 100 , 4831 i think 7828 and retumbo . nothing under 1.5

Basic Member
    Steel scope base with flat sided ring bolt.

Shim washer beside the trigger, also.

Also had to clear out a groove in the trigger guard for the spring screw clearance.

If the recoil lug is bedded and the barrel is away from the the stock floating it should shoot moa with a factory match load.

I use JB weld to bed the lug and action and also to bed the rail in the rear to the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    My .223 Axis was 1.5MOA until I put a few hundred rounds through it. Then it settled down around 1MOA. Eventually (several hundred more rounds) I found THE load for it and it is a regular 0.5MOA rifle now.

Savage recommended ammo.
    https://service.savagearms.com/hc/en...or-my-firearm-

You might also try some match ammo such as Federal Gold Medal. Reload try Match Kings or Tipped Match Kings.

Basic Member
    Pull it out of the stock and look to see if the recoil lug is deformed, or the barrel nut is burred. The recoil lugs are about .010" thinner than the width of the slot in the receiver.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Ill start with cheapest fixes first. Glass bed the receiver and lug. Fire lap the barrel . Try different bullets and or factory ammo . I can also change reloading dies and procedures. Then larger ticket items like stock then barrel .

You can try fire lapping, it will help if your getting a lot of copper in he barrel. The Axis factory stock does have pillars and, you can glass bed the action but you don't haved a lot of surface to work with in the rear. I glassed mine and it seemed to help a little bit. Push come to shove, you can always go the Boyd's route and end up with a better stock after you pillar it and glass it.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67