Thread: First Savage Build and Need Help

First Savage Build and Need Help

Going to attempt my first build, either a 6x68 (I’m a 6.8 SPC fan) or a 243 for a dedicated all weather predator rifle.

I really like the Magpul stocks adjustability (12.5-13” ) for LOP and cheek riser (small head) along with the bedding system, semi flat forend and reinforced polymer. FYI- I call at night utilizing a tripod setup with reaper grip, suppressor and a thermal scope.

It seems Magpul is planning to release a Hunter stock for the Savage 110 action with screw hole spacing of 4.40 (Gen 3)

I have many guns that have a cerakote, blued, or a stainless finish (polished and bead blasted). Bead blasted stainless is by far my favorite look.

Is it better to buy a complete savage 110 rifle and sell the stock and barrel ? Post WTB in the classified section? Or is there a place that sells a 110 SS short action with accutrigger ?

Being my first Savage build and limited knowledge of what Savage has done in the past, what should I know about the 110 ? Is it something Savage started utilizing to save cost similar to the Edge/Axis and Axis II model ?

Any information or suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

Disregard.

James at Northland Shootiers Supply was very helpful. I ordered my action, barrel, lug, and all tools from them.

Welcome to the BROTHERHOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by TXCOONDOG View Post
    Disregard.

James at Northland Shootiers Supply was very helpful. I ordered my action, barrel, lug, and all tools from them.
    NSS is a great way to go. I just got off the phone with him about 10 minutes ago! Three emails regarding order confirmation as soon as I hung up.

Basic Member
    ^ This is Standard Operating Procedure for Jim ^ Service second to none!

I'm only able to help with one of your questions. The 110 is not something they did to save money like the Axis, etc. It is an economical design and has been tweaked a lot throughout the decades, but it is their "flagship". If you're referring to the new naming system where they call everything a 110 (even short actions and stainless models), that's just a name change that came with the new accufit stock. As far as I'm aware, a model 116 action from a couple years ago (old naming system, 116 used to mean stainless long action) is the same as a current stainless model 110. I've heard of a new firing pin design they're phasing in, but that would just be the latest in small changes that have been going on for decades.

Are you using anti-seize lubricant on the action and barrel threads to prevent galling or ?

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

A drop of oil will do fine. If there is any galling somebody used a front scope base screw that was too long.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.