Thread: Boyd's or Richard's microfit stock

Boyd's or Richard's microfit stock

I am wa to g to purchase a new laminated stock for my savage. I like the Boyd's prohunter but I read that their customer service and delivery is poorly rated. Richard's microfit is my other alternative. Does Boyd's have good service? Should I have concerns for buying g from them? Any advice would be appreciated

Team Savage
    Unless enjoy final sanding, fitting and finish work or the the style selection of a RM stock, I’d lean toward the Boyd’s. My experience with Boyds before C-19 was good.

I have 2 Boyd's At-One stocks and had excellent service both times.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Jester

Basic Member
    My one experience with Boyd's was very good. I'm happy with the stock and it was delivered on time as promised.

+1 for Boyd, just put an At-one stock on a 110 25.06 and have used there stocks on other Savages in the past. All stocks were shipped in a timely manner and for the most parts actions dropped in. If they didn't there was very little wood that needed to be removed to get the action to drop in. I will order from them again.
    DonT

Basic Member
    I have several Boyd stocks and I am pleased with all of them.
    I usually bed the actions or at least install pillars if not already installed.

I have 2 richards stocks.
    They are beautiful stocks but require quite a bit of sanding and finishing. I think all in all I had about 25-30 hours in each stock, but I am slow and picky. LOl
    Jack

Team Savage
    I have both and think the Boyd's takes less finishing and finishes nicer.

Basic Member
    If you have the tools to shape, sand and finish, then pillar and epoxy bed, Richards has endless choices in designs and left/right and right action , left shooting stocks. Boyds offers a good variety of choices, some pillar bedded, some not. Choice is yours.

I chose a EABCO thumbhole for my son's Savage 12FV. Since it was a Christmas present, it was a plug and play option, pillars already installed and ready to go right out of the box. I have a very nice Richards thumbhole benchrest stock too. There are many choices, it all depends on how much time and skill you have to turnout what you're looking for.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I bought the Pro Varmint from Boyd's for my Axis about 2 years ago and except for a bit of fitting of the mag latch lug it bolted right on. From order to delivery was a little over a week. I'd get a metal trigger guard at the same time.

These days I'd call and see if they are in full production or have skeleton staff. And count on UPS/FEDEX/USPS to take longer than usual.

My first and only nightmare experience with Richards would take a book to fully explain.
    Long story short, it was to have arrived in three weeks from ordering date.....three months
    later it had not arrived. After MANY email msgs and phone conversations, it finally came.
    The exterior of the stock appeared to be held in place by wrasps, some of which were too
    deep to completely remove, and it took many hours to get the action to finally fit into the
    stock.

My first order with Boyd's arrived three days after ordering. I have gotten six stocks from
    them since. All but one came in a timely fashion, and that one was not in stock when
    ordered. The lady answering the phone is nice and cordial as long as the customer treats
    her the same, which was my case with that one stock. I know of others who were not, and
    they had trouble getting their stocks......do not mess with her!

As far as quality, all of mine have been great, requiring small amounts of relief for after
    market adjustable triggers and a bit of sanding in the forearm for adequate barrel relief on
    a couple which had large diameter barrels.

More and more people have been replacing their tupperware factory stocks, and COVID-19-
    bored people are no doubt ordering more, putting them behind, but I sincerely doubt if
    it will take three months to get your stock!

Thumbs Up Got my stock

Received my stock from Boyd's with 7 days from ordering. No complaints about the service. They web site is a bit confusing and difficult to navigate, but overall the service was outstanding