Thread: PTG Bolt face issues in LA action..... Unable to get 2.6" firing pin spring length

Basic Member

PTG Bolt face issues in LA action..... Unable to get 2.6" firing pin spring length

OK, I replaced my SA boltface with a PTG one years ago and remember that I needed to adjust the firing pin assembly. But I got it to work.

Now, I am building a 6.5x285 on a LA RH receiver. It started with a standard bolt face, but I found the PTG bolt head on sale and decided to use it. The bolt head from PTG is a little "shorter" than the Savage one, but this is known. And since I was screwing in a new barrel anyhow, no problem. (if you put the PTG bolt head on an existing gun, you MUST reset the headspace)

But when I started to adjust the firing pin, I had trouble. The pin was about .100 too long, but I got it screwed back in using the electrician wire stripper trick.

The thread on firing pin adjustment says then that I should return the spring to 2.6" of compression by adjusting the rear cocking piece (?correct name). But I cannot . I run out of threads at about 2.54" So my spring is a touch over compressed. It cocks, releases normally.

I am thinking I am OK, and in fact the 2.6" dimention might not be where it was to begin with. I moved the firing pin depth stop FORWARD about .100" inch, which should have actually lengthened the spring. But the spring was at 2.4" AFTER I extended the firing pin stop. So it was at around 2.3" to start.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...rotrusion-Data Is the thread where the 2.600" was mentioned. By Sharpshooter, who I think is a knowledgeable person.

Banned
    Well, the front screw needs adjusted for firing pin depth when fired. You want pin depth as close to .035” as possible. Then adjust the rear screw so that the cocking piece pin is approx .080” OFF the edge of the bolt. (Where the cocking piece pin rests once fired, at the bottom of the ramp).

Do this and it will run perfectly.

Basic Member
    Your firing pin is not compatible with that bolt head.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

If you have a way to measure the length of the lugs check that. Post the length. It looks like you may have purchased the wrong bolt head.
    I think we can get you where you need to be.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

There are two types of firing pins as well so the compatibility problem is familar. How new is the rifle. I believe there is an article on the main page about the difference's.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

If I get what Jon and possibly what Sharpshooter is saying take it all apart and try to slide the firing pin in to the stop. Push the cross pin in and make sure it goes in all the way to the stop. Somewhere in this time frame set your protrusion. If at anytime it does not fit together correctly stop and find out why. I will defer to Jon or Fred to advise on drilling anything out. I know what I would do but I am not conventional very often.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.