OK, I replaced my SA boltface with a PTG one years ago and remember that I needed to adjust the firing pin assembly. But I got it to work.

Now, I am building a 6.5x285 on a LA RH receiver. It started with a standard bolt face, but I found the PTG bolt head on sale and decided to use it. The bolt head from PTG is a little "shorter" than the Savage one, but this is known. And since I was screwing in a new barrel anyhow, no problem. (if you put the PTG bolt head on an existing gun, you MUST reset the headspace)

But when I started to adjust the firing pin, I had trouble. The pin was about .100 too long, but I got it screwed back in using the electrician wire stripper trick.

The thread on firing pin adjustment says then that I should return the spring to 2.6" of compression by adjusting the rear cocking piece (?correct name). But I cannot . I run out of threads at about 2.54" So my spring is a touch over compressed. It cocks, releases normally.

I am thinking I am OK, and in fact the 2.6" dimention might not be where it was to begin with. I moved the firing pin depth stop FORWARD about .100" inch, which should have actually lengthened the spring. But the spring was at 2.4" AFTER I extended the firing pin stop. So it was at around 2.3" to start.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...rotrusion-Data Is the thread where the 2.600" was mentioned. By Sharpshooter, who I think is a knowledgeable person.