Thread: Looking for sources on actions/barrels/other takeoff parts

Looking for sources on actions/barrels/other takeoff parts

Hi all! I'm looking for a source on takeoff parts from Savages, especially Axis actions. I'm planning on building a long action 308 Axis, and I want to find an action, a heavy (varmint profile or thereabouts) threaded 308 barrel, plus little stuff like recoil lugs and triggers. I know I might be best off to just buy one off the shelf, but cheap Axes are surprisingly tough to find right now for the project. I'd just post up a WTB in the classifieds section but I don't have the post count to do so, and don't plan to pad my count to get there either.

Basic Member
    Honestly, I think you would be better served with a 10/12 action instead of the Axis. Many more parts available for them and just a much nicer action to build from. Cabela's is still having sales on the 12FV and 10 T-SR.

Basic Member
    Depends on what you really want to do. If you are thinking you can get an action for $100 and a barrel for another $100 and a stock for $50 to make up a cheap rifle then I think you might be wishing too much. Yes, if you wait long enough and aren't too picky about caliber or type of barrel you might be able to build a really inexpensive rifle.

I've had the same kinds of thoughts at times, but, then I look at the Cabela's 12FV and add up what it would cost to build such a setup. Or, you can sometimes find other dealer specials, like the heavy barrel Axis that Walmart contracted for.

Northland Shooters Supply has some decent deals on barrels but I don't know where you can find actions much cheaper.

PS best bet might be to look at local pawn shops and such.

Basic Member
    The local Wal Mart priced the Axis at $198 for the sporter model with the newer stock. Hard to beat that price for a donor.

Well, I decided to do a hybrid. I found a cheap 308 VT11 barrel on ebay, so I think I'll just rebarrel it and sell off the 223 stuff. Once I decide to do a proper precision build (in a more modern cartridge) I'll start from scratch with a fresh action.

Basic Member
    Did you already have a barreled action? Or you had a .223 and wanted another rifle?

The .308 is nothing to sneeze at. It is just a bit more recoil than something like a 6.5CM or 6mm.

https://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

Basic Member
    Sounds like you have an Axis 223? I am interested in a 223 action for a project I am working on.

I know that this thread is a few months old but I am bumping it up for the Axis nuts. WalMart is currently having a clearance on the Axis (not AXIS II) rifles in many of their stores (so it is restricted to on-hand inventory). The plain black old-style poly-stock unscoped rifles are going for $124 in many places (I am in GA) AND then you can apply the new Savage $50 rebate on top of that (limited to 5 rifles per household). All are in the basic calibers (.223, .22-250, .243, .270, .308, .30/06) and then 6.5mm Creedmoor. I just picked up a 6.5 CR and a .22-250 yesterday for $124 each, so it isn't an urban legend (at least in this part of the world).

It looks like the wood stock scoped Axis (.223, .243, .308, .270 & .30/06) are currently at $184 in many of the stores and then they have the older camo HB XP (scoped) in .223 for $199 at certain stores. I guess they are making room for either Axis IIs or possibly just the new stock rifles. I am now debating if I need anything else for the collection.

PS: If you don't mind the crazy looks of the Remington 770s, you might be able to grab one of them (with scope) for $124 as part of the clearance. The ones that I have seen listed are .243, .308, .270, .30/06, 7mm Rem Mag & .300 Win Mag for the stores around here.