Thread: Did the old 110 LA have problems cycling SA cartridges, such as .223?...

jawjadawg

Did the old 110 LA have problems cycling SA cartridges, such as .223?...

I have the opportunity to pick up a 110e .223 but my mind is telling me that there is a reason Savage went to a shorter action for the .223 in later years.

Thanks for any input.

dcloco

Re: Did the old 110 LA have problems cycling SA cartridges, such as .223?...

No....they don't have any issues.

Savage was keeping their parts and machine costs down by only using one action.

The UP side of having a long action in 223? Remove the rear block on the mag....this will allow you to use mid sized cases or 222/223 cases that are long/heavy for caliber while still retaining case capacity.

L.H. Clark

I believe that all the savages were LA's in the early years. That was one way they kept costs down when the rifle sold for $110.00 That is where the name of the action came from. I doubt very seriously that there were any problems cycling. If so, it's news to me. The 110 is what made Savage, it was such a quality built, inherently accurate rifle for much less than the competition. Savage went to the SA in later years because of the demand, and they could afford the tooling finally. It helped make them viable. I would buy it with no fear at all if the price is cheap enough. You could use it for any build you want later or you could trade it for a SA.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

L.H. Clark

ellobo

If it has had a lot of rounds through it it may have a coppered up barrel. Not a problem, just use some copper remover when you get it home to see if does have copper. It will turn the patches blue.

El Lobo

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by jawjadawg
    I have the opportunity to pick up a 110e .223 but my mind is telling me that there is a reason Savage went to a shorter action for the .223 in later years.

Thanks for any input.
    I also have a 110e in 223, I wouldn't mind finding it's twin to screw my 300 Whisper barrel onto.

are you getting it for a good price?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

jawjadawg

Doesn't look like I'm getting it at all, at least not this one. I posted a wanted ad on a forum. The offers I've received are $425 for an old 110FP .308, which is more than NIB. Another 110FP .223 of what has to be nearly the same age due to the long action for $400-425. The guy with the sporter barrel 110e .223 I asked about wanted to trade me straight for a Smith and Wesson 642 - no thank you, sir. One will pop up here soon enough for $250-275, which is the typical going rate for a staggerfeed in these parts, or I might give up to $50 more for an FP model in nice shape.

In the grand scheme of things, $100 here or there on a custom build probably shouldn't sound like much but it is the principle of the thing. I'm just not going to let someone get me on a trade, especially the North Ga Mtn folk.