Thread: Savage 110 Ultralite- Anyone try one yet?

Basic Member

Savage 110 Ultralite- Anyone try one yet?

I was looking at these this morning and at under 6 lb, accufit stock, etc they seem like a really nice liteweight rifle. Has anyone tried one yet?

I've been interested in 280AI's for some time now, I've had a 260AI as well as a .223 AI- all on Savage Actions- I must be a glutton for punishment here with all the fireforming--> Although Nosler sells pre blown out 280 AI brass so that seems a non issue now if I want to use that.

I was just wondering:

- How you like it?
    - How does the barrel do after the 3rd shot upon heating up accuracy wise?
    - Is it "too lite" to shoot well off a rest?
    - What are you thoughts in general--> both on the rifle and the 280AI with the 22 inch barrel they only offer it it? Id prefer it in 24" but that's not available standard it seems.

I like the idea of a lite weight general purpose rifle that can take getting knocked around a little bit getting up in and out of stands. My hunting is 90% white tails out to 300 yds where I hunt, possible Muley's, Antelope and some day, Elk/ Moose, no Big Bears though, maybe someday a black bear.

Ive been filling this role with a Custom Mauser in 7-08 with a 22" bbl that has been amazing, but as I've aged it would be nice to have something lighter for hunts where I'm walking in far. The 7-08 handloaded with 140 Nos bt's and Sierra Game Kings/ Varget just under 2900 FPS has killed everything I've ever shot with it from 40 yds to the wall hanger in my Guy Room that was taken with 1 shot at 320 yds very good. The 280AI should do all that but a little better Im imagining.

Thoughts?

Basic Member
    I have a 280ai Kimber that i just love, and i bought a savage lightweight hunter just to rebarrel to make another. I also have a 7x57 in a savage, a 7mm Rem Mag in a savage and used to have a 7mm-08. I really think that it is the happy medium and if i would have known that it was going to be a more common chambering i would have got a 280ai barrel instead of the 7x57. But hindsight is 20-20.

I also have a proof Research carbon barrel on a bighorn action and it is super accurate and very light for the diameter barrel... the combo of a proof research carbon barrel on a lightweight gun should be a fantastic shooter!

Basic Member
    Just an FYI. The early reviews I have been reading say that the Savage Ultralite is closer to 6lbs 2oz. It's heavier than the listed weight. The extra couple ounces don't bother me, I just wanted to provide accurate info.

Basic Member
    Thank you for the input. How would you compare the 3 rounds- 7-08, 7x57 and 280 AI? They seem pretty close ballistically, but the 280 AI can launch the next size up in bullets (160-170 grish) at or above the velocities that the other two launch 140's.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by savageboy View Post
    Thank you for the input. How would you compare the 3 rounds- 7-08, 7x57 and 280 AI? They seem pretty close ballistically, but the 280 AI can launch the next size up in bullets (160-170 grish) at or above the velocities that the other two launch 140's.
    With hand loads, the 7mm-08 and 7x57 are pretty close with the 154 and below with a little advantage to the 7x57, but with the 162's the 7x57 has better performance. the 7x57 throws a 162 about as fast as a 7mm08 sends a 154.
    A 162 out of a 7x57 is easily at 2700, and tops out about 2800 maybe a little more. I run mine at 2720 because that is where my accuracy is at, but i was at 2800 with no pressure signs and pretty sure i could go faster.
    i run my 280ai kimber at 2840 with a 168 ABLR because that is where my acuracy is best, and i was about 100 fps faster with no pressure... but i was at 3100 with factory loaded 140 Nosler Ballistic tips, with incredible accuracy.
    I have been between 3050 and 3080 with 162's in every 7mm Rem Mag i have had... so the 280ai throws a 140 about as fast as a 7mm Mag throws a 162.

Basic Member
    @want2ride is correct. I own all three calibers, except I have just a regular .280. IMO, the 280ai is the way to go, unless you have trips to Africa in mind and then the 7x57 would be better.

You can't really go wrong with any of the three, but you can be more right with the 280ai.

Basic Member
    I couldn't take it anymore, i ordered an Ultralite in 6.5 PRC... they said the way shipping is now that it might take 2 full weeks to get it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I couldn't take it anymore, i ordered an Ultralite in 6.5 PRC... they said the way shipping is now that it might take 2 full weeks to get it.
    Opps... I was a bad influence again.... I am really thinking of doing the 280 AI, the only down side to the 110 Ultralite is the 280 AI has a 22" bbl vs 24" that I kind of wanted.