Thread: 38 g blazer ammo

38 g blazer ammo

Not worth a %÷×+ in .my Mkii savage but going to try in in my 64 never know if that doesn't work Henry time

Sent from my LM-X210APM using Tapatalk

Just out of curiosity what sort of issues is it giving you? I have shot some in my 3 day old MkII FVT. Accuracy at 50 yards is decent - I am just getting used to the rifle. The issue I am having is occasional failure to extract the fired case. Strange for a bolt action.

Ken

Basic Member
    Hey Wolf - I shot a couple boxes of the Blazers last year, wasn't impressed enough to record accuracy. It may work for you, tho. I've made a chart of ammo I've measured (with $20 calipers) to compare with the slugs I ran thru my two rimfires. The 'theory' is that if the bullet is a close match (or slightly larger) to the rifling measurement (lands are a few thou smaller) it improves accuracy. (I guess a 'snug fit' improves spin?) Given the 'approximations' of a $20 caliper set, take this as you will. It seems to be supported by my range results. Your mileage may vary . . .
    ps- I have a good chart, but forum won't accept the format, nor in the below pasted info, Columns aren't lined up.Sorry for that.

Marlin 60 average rifling = 0.2238 s/b best w/Fed BP; AM; CCI-HV 40g

Savage 64 average rifling = 0.2225 s/b best w/CCI-MM-36&40gHV; S&B; ELEY SPORT

Avg Diam. Of 5 random sample bullets

BRAND AMMO DIAMETER BEST in RIFLE

Fed BlackPak 36g CuHP HV 0.2240 Marlin

Fed AutoMatch 40g RNL-HV 0.2242 Marlin

Fed GoldMedal 40g RNL-SV 0.2235 Savage *ALL 5 were the SAME SIZE !!

CCI MM 36g CuHP-HV 0.2230 Savage

CCI 40g RNL-SV 0.2250 Marlin

CCI MM 40g RNL-HV 0.2237 Marlin

HERTER 38g CuHP-HV 0.2270 Marlin

Rem Golden 40g RNL-HV 0.2255 Marlin

S&B Standard 40g FPL-SV 0.2235 Savage

Eley Sport 40g RNL-SV 0.2235 Savage

Mine had trouble ejecting blazers I figure it was the wax so I switched to American Eagle and had no FTE anymore. Accuracy was great but I really only shoot at 50 yrds on the range these days.
    Don’t sell your guns!

I ran few magazines of the Blazer 38 gr through my Model 64 the other day. I was just shooting at clays on a board at 50 yd - so I can't speak to accuracy. But I had- zero misfires or fails. Bought them to use in a M&P Compact which handles them pretty well.

I been shooting Blazer for many years and it's always been 40gr and I've done very well with it. Recently I started seeing bulk packs of Blazer 38gr so I gave it a try and it does shoot good, but I feel the 40gr is slightly more accurate in my rifles. I've never encountered any extraction of feed issues with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bar Nuthin View Post
    I ran few magazines of the Blazer 38 gr through my Model 64 the other day. I was just shooting at clays on a board at 50 yd - so I can't speak to accuracy. But I had- zero misfires or fails. Bought them to use in a M&P Compact which handles them pretty well.
    Update: After running about 100 rounds of these through my M&P 22 Compact handgun, I discovered that I had significant leading in my barrel. While researching how to remedy problem, I found several people experiencing the same problem. I noticed that several (not all) specifically mentioned the Blazer 38 gr ammo.

Since I had fired a bunch of it through my 64 as well, I inspected the barrel - but didn't see any indication of lead building up in it. Several reputable shooters recommend running a few copper jacketed rounds though your guns after firing lead bullets. I guess I'll follow their advice and monitor things until I use up the few hundred remaining rounds I have.
    If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is!