Thread: Savage Model 6B Peep Sight/Scope Mounting

Savage Model 6B Peep Sight/Scope Mounting

Hello everyone, I have acquired an old .22 rimfire Savage model 6B and would like to install a Redfield model 70HH peep sight on it.

Now I’ve done my research and between the 6A and 6B models, all the years made, and the Savage/Springfield variants, I’m stumped as to how to mount this rear sight. There are several different pre-drilled hole locations depending on the model, but none seem to match this sight.
    Although the sight is in original packaging and says it will fit Savage 6, it doesn’t. At least not without some sort of mount adapter.

I know I will need to cut away some of the stock, but the pre-drilled holes in the receiver are too far apart for the sight bracket, and they are not perpendicular to the horizontal plane. They are drilled at approximately 30 degrees off horizontal plane. I don’t know if my description makes sense but I’ve attached pictures of the receiver holes and included a picture of the sight.

The holes in the receiver are 0.8” center to center, and the holes in the sight are 0.4” center to center.

I’m hoping maybe someone has some experience with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The pre drilled holes are probably for a Weaver scope mount. You may need an adapter to make the sight work.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by browneman63 View Post
    . . . . .Although the sight is in original packaging and says it will fit Savage 6, it doesn’t. . . . . .
    How do you know it is the “original packaging”?

Over the years, boxes and contents have been “co-mingled” . . . .a LOT!

I think this is the correct sight since it has an H stamped on it (although the model is HH). I’m pretty sure at this point that it still needs a mounting base.
    I’ve also since discovered that Savage made a peep sight for it. It is model WCF 150 Micro Peep sight. If anyone knows of a source for this peep sight I’d appreciate that too. It screws straight on without any stock modifications or base required.

Basic Member
    That sight fits on to a sub base.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That sight fits on to a sub base.
    I have to question that, the 70 series do not list or show any that use a subbase and the Redfield series that use a sub base are shown with one knurled thumb screw for attachment to the base, also I don't think that sight is long enough horizontally to center if a base were added to space it away from the receiver.

Browneman. your sight may indeed be for a Model 6, but the Savage Model 6 & 6A were not drilled & tapped the same as yours, so any sight made to fit one of these early versions would have used any hole pattern they thought would work. The WFC 150 & the hole pattern for it were not introduced until after WWII and I find the Redfield 70's listed before that.

The WCF 150's show up on eBay and other sites regularly. They use a special eye piece with small gear teeth on an extended rear that fit a rack gear in the sight for windage adjustment, accomplished by turning the eyepiece, there is no replacement I know of for these and they only came with one size aperture - so don't buy one missing the eye piece, also try to make sure it's an original eye piece that hasn't been drilled out of otherwise modified.

In this picture you can see the gear teeth -

Numrich still has NOS bases for the WCF 150's so you might be able to use that to make an adapter but any adapter will space the sight out from center so be sure there is enough windage adjustment to use an adapter. https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/557190

Lyman made some good receiver sights for these that fit the existing holes with out modifying the wood.
    Last edited by Sav22; 04-21-2020 at 12:02 PM. Reason: adding info

Thank you thank you. This has been hugely helpful. I’m disappointed that this Redfield 70 really isn’t the right sight for this model rifle, but you’ve given me some good info to look into.
    I’ll keep my eyes peeled for a used WCF 150, and look into the Lyman alternative.

Basic Member
    I thought a little more about your Redfield sight, the Model 6's before your gun could be ordered with a No 105 peep sight which used a single hole on the left side of the receiver @ 90° in a milled flat, the after market sights like yours might be made to use the one existing hole and then add a second. Some wood would have to be removed but there were a lot of sights made that required that.