Thread: Ejection problems with short cases (ie 300 Whisper)

Altair

Ejection problems with short cases (ie 300 Whisper)

I just got my new Stevens 200 in .223 and I really like the design of the rifle. It is my first one and the jury is still out as I haven't even gotten to shoot it yet but I think I'm going to like this platform.

When I purchased this rifle it was with the idea of converting it to 300 Whisper (300-221/300FB/300BLK) if I liked it but there is reportedly an issue with extraction using the very short case. To test this I fed an empty 300 Whisper case into the action (it will close in a .223 chamber) and tried ejecting it. The problem that I've read about is exactly what happened. The case was so short that it would turn too far and come off the extractor before clearing the action and fall into the action instead of ejecting from the rifle.

Is there a fix for this? From what I've read on quarterbore this is a common problem with several rifles and only a few designs with different types of extractors work reliably but I wanted to run it by the experts here to see what you had to say before I scrap the idea. FWIW, even if I do have to scrap the 300 Whisper idea I'm almost certainly keeping the rifle. It will most likely get changed into something different, though I don't know what yet.

82boy

Re: Ejection problems with short cases (ie 300 Whisper)

Altair

I looked through the FAQ and didn't find what I was looking for because I didn't know what I was looking for. I didn't know lengthening the ejector travel would be the solution. That second thread should be exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks.

Hawk45

I have a similar problem with a conversion I am doing now. I took an old Stevens .223 and coverted it over to .308. Going to this requires a new bolt head, front baffel, extractor, internal magazine and follower. After making all the changes I'm still getting cases that barely eject out of the action. I've tried new ejectors and extractors but getting the same problem. I believe what is in the FAQ thread posted above is saying that it could be that the extractor ball could be too small and causing the issue.

"When a cartridge is pressed in the boltface, the extractor,ball and spring can be deflected approx. .0125" before the detent ball compresses the spring. The result is that amount of movement will not spring back to center, essentially leaving the extractor claw not grabbing that much of the case.
    The fix is simple, use a bigger ball."

For me with the similar issues.. I'm going to try the bigger ball... or a stronger spring.. maybe put a small pin under the spring to create more tension.

I wouldn't let this stop your 300 Whisper project, it can get sorted out.

Hawk45

And just a follow-up. After replacing my extractor and using an unloaded case, things work great. I have a few dummy rounds I use for setting headspace on new barrel installs and those were dribbling out. Empty cases now fly out.

Team Savage

I had the same issue with a .223 converted to .221 Fireball. Pulled the ejector rod and now single feed with no problems and I don't have to chase brass.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.