Thread: Stripped Action Screw Hole - Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Stripped Action Screw Hole - Help!

Hello all,

I'm finding myself in a bit of an unfortunate situation here...

I removed my barreled action (110 Hunter model in 300WM) from the Accustock for the first time today to sand down a part of the stock that contacted the barrel. I started to put it back together, working incrementally toward 40 in./lb. of torque. It felt just fine threading in, but upon removal, the front action screw hole is buggered up.

This is where I am at now. The screw will screw into this hole directly (albeit with some resistance due to messed up threads), however, doesn't seem "long" enough or have thread to grip onto when I add the stock into the equation and try to put it back together.

What are my options here? As of now, I have a buggered front action screw hole and I can't put the rifle back together.

Thank you all in advance.

Basic Member
    Go to the closest open hardware store and buy a 1/4- 28 tap ( if you don't already have one). Tap out the action screw hole that is damaged.( you might get by without doing this).

Also purchase a few 1/4 28 socket head cap screws longer than the original action screw and cut the new one to fit the length you need. (probably 1/8" to 3/16" longer than old one).

Then check to make sure the new screw is not protruding above the inside of the action when everything is put together and torqued..
    I hope this helps.
    Jack

I am pretty sure the front action screw would be a blind hole in the bottom of the action, so make sure you get the bottom tap.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/26955a88

Basic Member
    ^^ No, the hole goes all the way through, as does the rear one. If the action bolts are too long they will interfere with the bolt operation.

The hole is not blind as stated by GreGuy. It is as mentioned by JW a 1/4-28 screw.

The original screw is probably damaged on the starter thread. Replace it. Make sure it is the correct length.

If you tap the action be very careful. Us a small file or hone to remove the buggers around the hole first, then tap.

If you have to go up to a 5/16-24 NF or a 5/16-32 NEF Make sure you can get the screws in the length you need first.

As GrenGuy said, too long of a screw will interfere with the bolt rotation.

Next time, take a wood working clamp and squeeze the action into the stock before you install the screw.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Had nearly identical problem

Not surprising to me at all. My 2018 Model 10 FCP-SR with Accustock had a too short front action screw from day one. Fortunately I was paying very close attention and realized that screw was only engaging for 1 1/2 turns. I found a cap head bolt (different size hex) and cut it to what I believed to be the correct length 3/4". Since the bolt/screw hole passes through the action's barrel threads I was afraid to let the bolt extend into the bolt chamber (for lack of a better description) and interfere with bolt head rotation. I currently have my barrel off and have a clear view and realize I could have been a bit longer and able to engage two more threads. So I wonder if a 1" screw would have been fine or not.

So as others said, chase those threads with a tap and then get a longer screw/bolt (1") and shorten as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post

Next time, take a wood working clamp and squeeze the action into the stock before you install the screw.
    Sound advice. I use a welders type squeeze clamp with nylon blocks.
    One of my other smith buddies prefers a ratchet strap when pulling
    screws.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952