Thread: Savage 10T Boyds Pro Varmint Stock Questions

Savage 10T Boyds Pro Varmint Stock Questions

I currently have a Savage Mark II FVSR in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock which works very well and want to put my Savage 10T 308 in one as well.
    According to Boyds website they have options for the Savage 10 - Bottom bolt release which is what I have.
    My concern is will the factory bottom metal work with the Boyds Stock?
    Will the Boyds stock be cut for the heavy barrel that comes on the 10T?

I emailed Boyds but have not heard back and have heard that their customer service is not the best.

Any first hand experience is welcome.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator Edit: The link doesn't take you to the right page... So you'll have to choose the options from the drop down menu.
    1. Savage
    2. 10 bottom release
    3. Short action DBM Then choose Pro Varmint and scroll to the bottom of that page. Info you need is at the bottom of that page.

It states that you'll need to purchase the bottom metal designed with a flat bottom design.

As for the barrel channel-- It doesn't appear to be offered in the "bull barrel" design, but there is plenty of meat around the barrel channel to just open it up to the correct size with sand paper and a 5/8 wood dowel.

I went down this path when I built a .260 Rem off of a 111 XP action originally chambered in .270 Win.

SageRat, Thanks for the link and the info. I have been on Boyds website many times and have tried to decipher their disclaimer but I am not sure they even know what they are talking about. I attached it below.

Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 5/16" and Point B = 3/4" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 7/16" Over All Length of Part: 31" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS: This stock is designed for the Savage Detachable Box Magazine rifles with bottom bolt release (located on the front of the trigger guard). The magazine release is located on the bottom of the floorplate. Not designed for old style side magazine release. The magazine inletting is designed for the removable frame from the factory stock. MUST READ: If you have a XP model with a synthetic stock, you will need to purchase the bottom metal component system through Savage or any aftermarket component supplier. Due to the many variations of trigger guards that have bed used for Savage Actions. Boyds uses a flat bottom metal design. Fitting for plastic and some metal models may be needed or contact Savage or Brownells for the flat bottom design. These stocks are designed for the 3 piece design DETACHABLE BOX MAG parts as found on wood stocks. Some plastic stocked models will require you to purchase additional parts from Savage or Brownells. Not designed for old style side magazine release. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action. Variations may exist from firearm to firearm, minor fitting may be required to get that perfect fit to your firearm.

Yep, That's the info I was talking about. The Boyds stocks are all setup to use the standard DBM (4 round) magazines.... I forgot that the 10T has the 10 rounds AICS or comparable magazines...

I think you're going to have to have a gunsmith do the inletting on the Boyds to be able to accommodate the 10 round mags. If you are just wanting to run a standard magazine then you just have to purchase the "bottom metal for wood stocks" from Savage.

I called them directly when I was building mine and gave them my serial number and told them I was putting a Boyd's Laminate stock on my rifle. They knew exactly what I needed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bergy24 View Post
    I currently have a Savage Mark II FVSR in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock which works very well and want to put my Savage 10T 308 in one as well.
    According to Boyds website they have options for the Savage 10 - Bottom bolt release which is what I have.
    My concern is will the factory bottom metal work with the Boyds Stock?
    Will the Boyds stock be cut for the heavy barrel that comes on the 10T?

I emailed Boyds but have not heard back and have heard that their customer service is not the best.

Any first hand experience is welcome.
    Have you checked out arch angel stocks.. they are bad as, I got one for my current 6.5 Creedmoor build using a savage trued target action and shilen barrel

https://promagindustries.com/archang...pe-d-magazine/

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Have you checked out arch angel stocks.. they are bad as, I got one for my current 6.5 Creedmoor build using a savage trued target action and shilen barrel

https://promagindustries.com/archang...pe-d-magazine/

Having the mag well is kind of a waste since my action is single shot but its a really nice feeling comfortable stock

Basic Member
    I also have a Mark II in a Boyds Pro Varmint stock, which is fine, but have you considered a HS Precision stock for your Model 10?

The rifle in the foreground is the Mark II. The background is a Model 10 FCP HS Precision -

Jkv45,
    I like that stock but not the price, especially considering the lack of the built in adjustable comb. More than double the price of the Boyd's.

Sagerat,
    I may have to call Savage and do the same. I don't mind the 4 round mags for what I use it for. Any idea what the difference is between the wood stock bottom metal and the 10T bottom metal?

Sagerat,
    I may have to call Savage and do the same. I don't mind the 4 round mags for what I use it for. Any idea what the difference is between the wood stock bottom metal and the 10T bottom metal?
    I've not looked at a 10T specifically, so i can't say what the difference is exactly (other than the round count and latching system).

I can tell you that the bottom metal for wood stocks comes in actual metal (and also a plastic version) it consists of: The Mag well housing, trigger guard assembly, and a metal cap that pops right on to the OEM (Axis Style) mags that come with most of their hunting rifles. It ran me about $150.00 for the metal version, but the plastic version may be cheaper. I already had my original DBM, so I didn't have to get one of those... You will probably have to however... I suggest the metal version, as I had to pillar bed my Pro Varmint.

EDIT: I just took a look at the 10T that Cabelas carries... If you have the same one, then you should be "good to go" as it is the same as the 111 XP package has, and is what I ordered... I just remember seeing the 10 rounds Mag on the 10T...

Basic Member
    Jkv45,
    I like that stock but not the price, especially considering the lack of the built in adjustable comb. More than double the price of the Boyd's.
    I guess I never priced it (HS Precision stock) out separately, as that rifle came with it for $799. Boyds does charge $60 for adding the adjustable comb. The cheek riser I put on was about $50.

Boyds stocks can be hit-or-miss from what I've gathered. My Pro Varmint isn't bad, but others haven't been as pleased. I purchased my Mark II stock through DIP, as they have a good customer service rep. If there are any issues, Boyds doesn't have a great rep for taking care of it.

Boyds responded today and said that each stock is made to order, but the barrel channel will be too small for the 10T heavy barrel. I asked, since each stock is "made to order" can they enlarge the barrel channel. They firmly said "No".
    I sent them a picture of the 10T bottom metal, and they said it will fit, but I'm not confident in their response. Now I need to decide if I want to take my chances and order from Boyd's or go another route.

Team Savage
    The Boyd’s Savage SA, CF stocks (eg. ProVarmint) have a standard, CF, DBM inlet. Therefore you need a standard Savage SA, CF, DBM metal frame assembly (surround) and metal magazine bottom cap for a Boyd”s stock. I’m not sure what magazine assembly comes on a Savage 10T. However, the newer Savage tactical rifle models with Accufit-Accustock have a different AICS magazine frame assembly that won’t fit the standard Savage CF, DBM, inlet found in current aftermarket stocks (eg. Boyd’s) without modification. The thread below shows how to modify a standard Savage CF, DBM inlet to accept the newer Savage AICS magazine frame assembly.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...BM-AICS-Bottom