I own a Savage Model 1899, 300 Sav. Take Down version, dates to 1925 manufacture. I have owned this rifle for about 40 yrs, give or take. The overall condition of this rifle is very good. Bore is in great shape, case color still remains on the lever, wood in nice condition as is the blueing. No abuse at all and really no overall ware.

I have shot this rifle once or twice only. About the second time firing it, the bottom of the case separated and left most of the case in the chamber. I took it to a highly regarded gun smith to have remains of the case removed. Which he did. At the time he also checked the headspace. At that time he informed me that the headspace was excessive and I should not shoot it. He said that Savage didn't heat treat the chambers well enough and with firing would not maintain chamber sizing. So, it's been sitting in the safe since.

Back in November of last year I got thinking about the 99 and decided to get another opinion on the condition of the chamber. I took it to another gum smith to have checked out. He fired it and though the case bottom did not separate, it did stretch the case. Excessive head space. I asked him about the quality of the steel used by Savage at the point in time and if there were any issues with the heat treating. He told me he did not know of any. He wonder, since the rifle is in such good condition with seemingly little use, if the chamber was cut oversized at the factory by mistake. Any possibility in that?

Is there any means of fixing this? I asked if they could re-cut the chamber and was told they could not on account of it being a take down model. I am going to suppose that finding another take down model barrel will be very difficult. It's just such a cool old rifle, I would really like to be able to shoot it some. Part of it is, I had known the owner since I was a child... and there were family ties to him.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.