Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Savage 11 blew up

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I doubt that it came unscrewed, but it could have separated from a bad thread joint, or just plain break at the end of the threads(highly unlikely) and the spring would push the the firing pin to the fired position, still leaving the cocking piece in the cock detent. We'll found out if or when he tears it apart.
    That was along the lines of my thinking.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

As I understand this, Savage uses two different bolt designs and I don't know enough about this to identify which one this is.
    Will someone clarify this for me?

Yeah. We aren't touching the gun until we decide what were going to do. I was thinking about taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow just to see what he thinks before we move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
    As I understand this, Savage uses two different bolt designs and I don't know enough about this to identify which one this is.
    Will someone clarify this for me?

The one it would have to be to come apart (multiple pieces):

The style that we are starting to see in some production 110 models.(I believe this is an axis but the 110 is very similar)More like a one piece.

Thanks!

Basic Member
    The answer is inside the bolt. If the cocking piece became separated from the pin, it will have spring tension on it. You can simply rotate the cocking piece pin away from the detent, and if it stays up, that means it has separated from the main pin. For what reasons you won't know until it is disassembled. It's a freak occurance anyway you look at it.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdball View Post
    Yeah. We aren't touching the gun until we decide what were going to do. I was thinking about taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow just to see what he thinks before we move forward.
    You are wise to keep everything untouched so that you don't possibly corrupt any evidence. The chain of events leading to failure will certainly be of interest to both Savage and any attorney you choose to hire. I'd let your attorney guide your course of action. Do not send it back to Savage, as much as I like the company and their products, there is some liability for your son's injuries. They have insurance for that sort of thing, so follow your attorneys advise and let it play out.

I hope and pray your sons injuries are not permanent.

FWIW; I had a model 11 in 243, but sold it last year. Great rifle! My son took his first buck with it, but it was a left hand model, and he is a righty.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

_.

Basic Member
    That is a newer lwh and very likely has the newer firing pin. Can you take a photo of the rear of the bolt where the big screw threads in?

Basic Member
    Why is the standard reaction to sue the gunmaker....or the ammo maker? Why not call Savage and ask them to look at it. If the injury created some “loss” for your son, ask them to pay for it. I would bet they would be thrilled to deal with someone not immediately thinking how can I sue. Maybe contact the ammo maker too. Ask them to pay an independent gunsmith of your choice.....I don’t know. I’m not an attorney and never seen a problem solved by one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    Why is the standard reaction to sue the gunmaker....or the ammo maker? Why not call Savage and ask them to look at it. If the injury created some “loss” for your son, ask them to pay for it. I would bet they would be thrilled to deal with someone not immediately thinking how can I sue. Maybe contact the ammo maker too. Ask them to pay an independent gunsmith of your choice.....I don’t know. I’m not an attorney and never seen a problem solved by one.
    I haven't seen people telling him to sue.... I've seen people telling him to document everything. After he sends the gun to savage and they say "It must have been your fault"- that's a piss poor time to start documenting things. Maybe Savage will treat him right and he wont need the evidence... (maybe it wasn't savages fault at all)... but advising lots of pictures and evidence isn't the same as telling someone to sue.

Basic Member
    Hdball.... did the bolt come all the way out of the action?? Or did the bolt stop do it's job?

Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    I didn't say sue, lawyer, court or money. I said take pictures and don't shoot any more rounds out of the factory box. Geez....

I don't necessarily want to sue anyone either. Especially in today's day and age where there seems to be a war on the firearm community. I feel like we're all on the same team and suing savage would kinda be like attacking one of our own. I also have to be realistic about the situation. My son's 17, a baseball player, aspirations of playing in college, and while there's supposedly no nerve damage in his hand, until he can start working out again we don't know anything. I can post pics of his hand if y'all would like to see? Just didnt know if the would be considered appropriate or not.

The bolt shot all the way out of the gun. It was laying on the ground after everything blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I didn't say sue, lawyer, court or money. I said take pictures and don't shoot any more rounds out of the factory box. Geez....
    No you didn't but others did. It is so easy to think someone is speaking about you when in actuality they are discussing a matter that came from another location. One issue while debating in an open discussion in a online forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    No you didn't but others did. It is so easy to think someone is speaking about you when in actuality they are discussing a matter that came from another location. One issue while debating in an open discussion in a online forum.
    10-4

It's an interesting and unfortunate event. I'm pleased that your son wasn't injured more than he was.

Before I did anything else, I'd contact Savage, explain the situation and have them issue a call tag to have the rifle picked up so they can examine it. Also make them aware of the lot number of the cartridges you were using.

I'm sure we'd all be interested in what Savage has to say.

Basic Member
    Its a serious enough issue that Savage should be willing to do whatever the customer is more comfortable doing.
    Id personally be taking it to someone like Sharpshooter who is well known by Savage.
    Let them go to the trouble of sending someone there to wittness the disassembly and analize the issue.
    I would not be giving up control of things at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Its a serious enough issue that Savage should be willing to do whatever the customer is more comfortable doing.
    Id personally be taking it to someone like Sharpshooter who is well known by Savage.
    Let them go to the trouble of sending someone there to wittness the disassembly and analize the issue.
    I would not be giving up control of things at this point.
    Savage would send somebody to SSS? I have no ground to doubt your statement that SSS is "well known by Savage", but, Savage send someone to SSS? I hope that is somehow true.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    Savage would send somebody to SSS? I have no ground to doubt your statement that SSS is "well known by Savage", but, Savage send someone to SSS? I hope that is somehow true.
    Fact is that any slip and fall lawyer would be salivating over being handed a case like this.
    Wether or not you choose to go that route is your call, but handing over the evidence wouldnt be advisable imop.
    Wether they chose to send someone would be their call as well, but it could possibly strengthen their position depending on the findings, especially since a qualified independent unbiased person was involved.
    Im not qualified to have any opinion as to what could have been the cause of this incident.
    But one thing bothers me, that being that as i understand it, the bolt was ejected from the gun.
    Ive seen guns blow up, several of which were intentional just to see how much powder it took to do it.
    But in none of those situations did the bolt body fail to remain in the action.

Basic Member
    Lugs were never engaged so the bolt had nothing to hold it in place

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    Lugs were never engaged so the bolt had nothing to hold it in place
    Meaning the bolt was never closed? Something i obviously missed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Meaning the bolt was never closed? Something i obviously missed.
    Oh yeah Yobuck...this one fired as his son push in on the bolt! Reason I think all of us are positive the firing pin is broken.

Hdball, it would be a good idea to have a gunsmith check it out before sending to Savage, if that is what they want.(which of course they will). Hopefully they will take responsibility, apologize immediately and make it right. While I agree with you about not wanting to sue, and I don’t believe this is a “Million dollar” court case..., I do believe Savage needs to make it right! I believe offering a replacement OF YOUR CHOICE from the Savage rifle lineup & perhaps hospital costs. I’d say give them opportunity to make it right. Now, if they offer nothing, and start with the old.., “it’s your fault” bs, well then the gloves are off! IMHO. Of course it’s your call.

Oh, and I really don’t think Savage would “send” anyone to SSS. I seriously doubt the decision makers for Savage even know him.

I would be really interested in what Savage says if/when the OP calls Savage to explain the event. This would clear up a lot of guess work in my mind. Then I could skip past all the what ifs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast