Thread: New X-Caliber Barrel Just Arrived!

Basic Member

New X-Caliber Barrel Just Arrived!

Back in Dec I ordered a new 6.5 CM barrel during X-Caliber's 25% off sale. Expected delivery was 8-10 weeks, but it came in yesterday after only 6 weeks, and it looks absolutely perfect!

The barrel is a Savage small shank prefit, 24 in, SS, heavy contour with a .900 dia at the muzzle.

Took out my Teslong borescope for a look see and found the internal machine work to be just amazing. Transition from neck to throat to lands appears to indicate the chamber reamer was perfectly centered in the bore. All the rifling appears defect free indicating a decent bore/ream job at the outset and a beautifully lapped finish. Also a nicely honed chamber.

Should make a hecka shooter once I get it screwed on an action. Probably use a Savage 12FV action I have laying around with a red blade Target Accutrigger. Haven't decided what stock I'll use but I'm partial to wood and like to keep it under $300. Any suggestions?

Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage

Good to hear! Mirrors my experience with them and 22CM barrel I ordered, took a little longer as it was also cryo treated.

" Only accurate rifles are interesting " Report back after you "break in it as per there suggested procedure with some 100 yard and longer groups

Basic Member
    It's not wood, but a B&C is under $300 and is a rock solid platform to shoot from. Stocky's also has some wood LRTs that look nice.

Basic Member
    It's a great day when a shiny new barrel shows up on the front porch. I ordered a barrel from Shilen in late December. I won't see it until mid March or later and the wait is killing me.

Regarding stocks, I picked up a used but beautiful 12 BVSS stock on this site for under $200 and I really enjoy shooting it. Might be a good option if you can find one and don't mind the blind mag.

Basic Member
    I’ve found X-caliber to deliver on time or earlier as well. Nice when folks do what they say.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill2905 View Post
    It's a great day when a shiny new barrel shows up on the front porch. I ordered a barrel from Shilen in late December. I won't see it until mid March or later and the wait is killing me.

Regarding stocks, I picked up a used but beautiful 12 BVSS stock on this site for under $200 and I really enjoy shooting it. Might be a good option if you can find one and don't mind the blind mag.
    Yep, you beat me to it. Exactly what I was hoping to find but just a little too late. Good for you, though. I'll post a want ad and see what turns up.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    I ordered an X-caliber in 22 Creed the end of Nov. just got it this week. It's a 26" heavy .900" at the muzzle 7 twist to shoot 85.5 bergers and 90 A-tips when they come.
    It's going on a new 12FV that was a 6.5 Creed- I have 2 of them.
    I have some ADG brass. I 'm looking at the GRS Bifrost or B&C stock for it.

Team Savage

Velocity ladder test for my 22CM @ 100yds, 8rds on target, scope adjustments plus 5rds in the .550" hole. Each of those 5rds with a different charge weight produced velocities from 3377 - 3426fps.

Barrel - 26" 416R cryo treated X-Caliber, Savage varmint profile, 6groove, 8twist, 11° target crown
    Brass - Nolser 6CM, necked and turned
    Bullet - Nosler 77gr Custom Comps
    Powder - H4350
    Primer - CCI200

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	loadtest.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	264.2 KB 
ID:	6907

On dec 25 I ordered a 22creed, mtu contour at 18 inches threaded for suppressor. Did you guys get a shipping notice or phone call before it shipped? I'm hoping for it any day now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by go4shoot View Post
    On dec 25 I ordered a 22creed, mtu contour at 18 inches threaded for suppressor. Did you guys get a shipping notice or phone call before it shipped? I'm hoping for it any day now.
    Been my experience that it just shows up. I’ve ordered a prefit .300 win mag and probably 6-8 contoured blanks

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Been my experience that it just shows up. I’ve ordered a prefit .300 win mag and probably 6-8 contoured blanks
    Good to know. Thanks

Team Savage

I received an email from X-Caliber the day my barrel shipped.

Basic Member
    I received an email at about 9am that it had shipped. when I got home an hour later the barrel was there. So even though they are only a couple hundred miles from me i don't think the send the email when they ship!

Basic Member
    They didn't call it the Pony Express for nuthin'.

Basic Member
    Had the barrel out today and doing some preliminary seating depth work with the barrel on the bench. I had a variety of brass to work with, some new, some once fired sized and cleaned, some as shot from previous barrel. I was checking case base to datum differences and measuring case head projection out of the breech face, which measured .130". BTW, I ordered a go gage just to have one. Also checked the case mouth to end of chamber using my borescope camera to look at the throat area while the case was inserted into the chamber. It's running pretty close.

My old barrel seated a 142 SMK touching lands with the bullet base (aft end of bearing surface) pretty much at the case neck and shoulder junction. Perfect in my estimation. This new barrel seats the bullet considerably further out at touch. It's nearly 1/3 the way up the neck. Nothing worrisome but as the throat erodes, I'll have less ability to chase lands before the bullet is too far up the neck to get good retention.

I'll try to post pics taken with my Teslong tomorrow.

Basic Member
    Nothing like getting a new barrel. I got one last week, now I just need to find the time to put it on.

Basic Member
    I agree, nothing quite as exciting as a new barrel. Gonna have to make this one last a while, though. What with the whole world's economy about to go T.U. because of this pandemic, it's likely to be a few years before I make another barrel purchase. I wonder if this is going to change PacNor's rebuilding plans after the disastrous fire.

Basic Member
    I checked on my Shilen 6BR barrel order the other day, figuring it is going to be delayed even further due to this pandemic. It was ordered on December 18th with the knowledge that it could be 16 weeks. I learned that it is now waiting to be chambered and only a couple weeks away. Can't wait!